Author Topic: Who is ready for hunting season???  (Read 25723 times)

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
Re: Who is ready for hunting season???
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:06 pm »
i like them dredged in a flour/spice mixture and sauteed in a skillet!  I also like my dove wrapped in bacon and the wild turkey smoked!! ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 01:14:18 pm »
One of our club members always has dove breast wrapped in bacon  as an appetizer for opening night  at the club. :P  Ain't it hard to keep them turkeys lit?  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 01:53:39 pm »
PatB when you have enough wild turkey, you're always lit!  ;)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »
ooooohh :-X :-X el gato, slap it between two tortillas - not bad :P. Tennessee is fine, I like that country up there - always heard the cows had longer legs on one side, hehe. But like pappy said is dry as a chip this year - MO, and Arkansas too.
 Take your dove breasts (boneless) put a slice of jalapeno between them, wrap the whole thing in bacon, season to taste, grill over hard wood coals, throw the dove away and eat the bacon ;D, naw their really good that way - taste just like Tbone.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 02:37:14 pm »
My favorite way of preparing dove is to soak the breast in a locally produced marinade called "Daddy Hinkle's".  I first found it at the Oklahoma State fair in the Made in Oklahoma exhibit that showcases locally made products.  It comes in two parts, a rub and a liquid marinade.  It also comes in three flavors, Original, Southwest and "Hotter 'n $700", (I have no idea what the name is supposed to mean  ???, but it is pretty hot).  The hot variety is best on poultry and wild foul.  After soaking the dove in the DH for about 30 minutes, place on a char-coal grill.  The breast are best eaten right off the grill as finger food.  Mmmmm, Mmmmmm.

We've been getting spotty showers and thunderstorms since the season started, so I've not had the chance to hunt yet. 

Oklahoma's deer season is as follows: 

ARCHERY: Oct. 1 - 2007-Jan. 15, 2008 ( Jan. 1-15, 2008, Antlerless only )
MUZZLELOADING: Oct. 27 - Nov. 4, 2007 (Antlerless days vary by zone)
GUN: Nov. 17 -  Dec. 2, 2007 (Antlerless days vary by zone)
YOUTH ANTLERLESS DEER GUN: Oct. 19-21; statewide
SPECIAL ANTLERLESS SEASON: Dec. 21-23 & Dec. 28-30 (Open only in certain zones).

I wonder why we have a "primitive" gun season that starts early, even though there's really nothing primitive about it at all in most cases, but no "primitive" archery season.   ::)   They even changed the name to "muzzleloading" vs. primitive since that's about the only remaining requirement. Criminy, now they even have them with electronic ignition.   :o

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 02:51:59 pm »
Cowboy that is a GOOD recipe but I thought it tastes more like frog legs  ;).  All this dove cookin talk is making me hungy!

Dry as can be here in TN.  We have had 1 or 2 good rains since late May 3 if you count the ToJam weekend at Pappys.  ;D 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »
  Cowboy,I cooked my Texas turkeys that way.delicious.Here's another way to try Dove.
   Place them in the bottom of a baking dish,cover it completely with bacon.then put a thick layer of sour cream.Then a layer of dried onions,and cover completely with Cream of Mushroom soup straight out of the can.Cover with foil and bake. :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 06:03:01 pm »
Mullet you couldn't get more suthun' than dried onions and cream of mushroom soup! ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 06:16:03 pm »
Yes Mam ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 06:19:54 pm »
I took a poll last month with the moderators to see who knew what pimento cheese was.  So funny.  I guessed their responses before they answered...only missed one!  ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »
 ;D ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 07:35:42 pm »
Yeah well I asked Pappy if Joanie could make up a big batch for the ToJam/Tenn. classic for those uncultured folk who are clueless on the delicacy of pimento cheese!  ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 09:38:51 pm »
Eddie: man I'm going to go ahead and jot that recipe down, almost sounds like green bean caserole without the beans - but sounds good though ;D.

Pimento cheese - mmmmmmmm, love it on white bread - nothin else.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 08:53:58 pm »
  I think you'll like it Paul.Just something a little different than wrap it in bacon.It's really better if the breast are boneless.That way it can be used for an Elegant meal and not get your fingers in the gravy. ;D Oh!,Forgot,fry the bacon just a little bit fefore you put it on.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline sonny

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:03 pm »
Virginia Archery Deer Seasons
Archery Either-Sex Deer Hunting

* Deer of either sex may be taken full season during all archery seasons, unless otherwise noted below.
          o Only antlered deer may be taken during the early and late archery deer seasons on PALS (Public Access Lands) in Dickenson County.

Early Archery Season

October 6-November 16: statewide
Late Archery Seasons

December 3-January 5:

* In all areas west of the Blue Ridge (except Clarke and Floyd counties and on private lands in Frederick County).
    * In the counties (including the cities and towns within) of Amherst (west of Rt. 29), Bedford, Campbell (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), and Nelson (west of Rt. 151).
    * On the Chester F. Phelps WMA and on National Forest lands in Frederick County.

December 1-January 5:

* In the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk (east of the Dismal Swamp line), and Virginia Beach.

December 17-January 5:

* In the counties (including the cities and towns within) of Floyd, Franklin, Henry, Patrick, and Pittsylvania (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad).

Urban Archery Deer Seasons

September 15-October 5 and January 7-March 29

* Within the incorporated limits of the cities of Colonial Heights, Danville, Emporia, Franklin, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Radford, Richmond, Winchester and the towns of Altavista, Amherst, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Farmville, Independence, Purcellville, Richlands, Rocky Mount, Tazewell, West Point and in Fairfax County.
    * During these seasons only antlerless deer may be taken.
    * Lists of properties available for hunting are not maintained by the Department or local governments.
    * Go to the Urban Archery Season page on this Web site for local restrictions and other urban archery information.

Legal Methods and Restrictions During Archery Deer Seasons

Special restrictions may apply during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

* Archery tackle only.
    * Crossbows are legal.
    * Broadhead widths must be at least 7/8-inch wide or expand upon impact to 7/8-inch.
    * Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.
    * It is unlawful to use arrows to which any drug, chemical or toxic substance has been added or explosive head arrows.
    * It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession (see exception for concealed handguns).
    * It is unlawful to use dogs.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.