Author Topic: knots  (Read 3278 times)

Offline chessieboy

knots
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:08:13 pm »
I've got my sage stave down to one ring  ;D.  I have several knots on the back and need some input.  The two that concern me the most are in the middle of the stave ( length wise).  One group is are pin knots and one big knot.  I'll try to post some pics later in the week but its hard not having a computer at home that I can down load to.  My question is, I know to leave extra wood around the knots but how many rings above the chased ring should I go near the pin knots and how much area around them should there be of that level? I have no idea what to do near the big knot other to have them in an area that isn't working.  Any help would be great.

Bill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: knots
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:28 pm »
Bill: I'm not that experienced, but on the pin knots - just go ahead and chase them to the ring your using for the back. Mother nature has added a natural hump around knots within that ring - if that makes sense. thier should be a rise in the ring approaching the knot all around. With the big knot, should be the same I would think, but waight for somebody more experienced to say - and pictures always help :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: knots
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 01:02:17 am »
Take them down to the back ring like Cowboy said but be careful not to cut through that ring. That is where a splinter will come up. Work from the center of the not and work out, all the way around.  On knots that are not real sound, I always put a drop or 2 of super glue just for insurance. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC