Author Topic: Boo backed Ipe -- How far can I cut the arrow shelf ?  (Read 5703 times)

8up

Boo backed Ipe -- How far can I cut the arrow shelf ?
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:17:31 pm »
How far can I cut the arrow shelf towards center ?

My handle will finish at 1" wide and 1 1/4" - 1 3/8" thick. ( 3/4" Ipe + 1/8" white oak + 3/8"-1/2" mesquite ) the riser / handle section is about 7".

Thanks, Ron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boo backed Ipe -- How far can I cut the arrow shelf ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:27 am »
Ron, With the handle being only 1" wide you should add a shelf rather than cutting one into the handle.  its easy enough to do.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:26:17 am »
i agree, if you look at my hick boo backed bow, the handle is enormous, and i added a shelf to that one as opposed to cutting in.  it shoots great, and the arrow clears just fine.  i think center shot is a little over rated compared to the risk of cutting in too far.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:35:17 pm »
The two criteria is one; what can you safely get away with, and two; what do you need to make the arrows you are going to shoot fly correctly.

One; One similar bows I have made shelfs just over 3/4ths of an inch wide at the shelf..No I am not recommending it, but for competition archers shooting carbons I have cut past-center shelves which were thinner, but taller.

Two; This is what I usually do on a bow this style using wood arrows..I shoot the bow, and if the arrows I like go left then I will scrape the arrow pass in until they fly straight. If the arrows go right, you probably need stiffer arrows.

My "modern" looking one in the article is 13/16th's wide at the shelf for what its worth.. Ya the last place you want a bow to fail is in the shelf, that could be a bit nasty..

Rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:15:58 pm »
He ant allowed to shoot carbons ,I'll disown him. ;) ;D ;D ;D You must be coming right along since yesterday if your ready for a shelf.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 05:19:52 pm »
I've seen some pretty narrow cut-in risers, but they are usually deeper than what you have to work with.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:30:37 pm »
  On narrow handles I do kinda like Rich.Instead I use a half round file and feather it into the bow, raise the wrap a little and cant it when I shoot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

8up

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:58:32 pm »
Pat I usually do add some shelf but also cut a little into the bow as well. I just was not sure if Ipe's properties would allow more.

Richard thanks for all your advice and help. I will tune the bow to shoot my current wood arrows. I have some carbons but my mentor frowns on them with anything but a store bought bow :)

Pappy I'll be good I promise  ;D I just need to find someone who needs the Gold Tips

The reason I asked this question is in Sam Harper's build-a-long his bow is 1.25" and it looks to be cut quite a bit.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 01:32:11 am »
I know that looks like trouble, but as long as  the tiller isn't trying to bend the handle off, then its fine..Done the same many times...

Usually the guys with the carbons are buying their first wood bow in their transition to becoming a "real" archer so I'm not going to give them any grief by commenting about the arrows..One step at at time ;) Eventually they are shooting woods off their hand and making their own bows...

Rich-

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:35:16 am »
                     "Carbon" aint that a molecule in chemistry Rich ? ;D ;D ;D..............bob