Author Topic: Oetzi's Quiver.  (Read 9049 times)

Offline badcolesonbad

Oetzi's Quiver.
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »
This is on my list of to do's. A friend is swapping me an Aoudad hide for some stuff, so I think ill use that. I found one build along. but there were no dimensions. Is this just eyeballed, or does a pattern exist ? Im also wondering if anyone has made and used any other replicas of his gear. Thanks much.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Oetzi's Quiver.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:01:37 pm »
There are probably dimensions somewhere but you could probably take a wild guess so the quiver fits your arrows.
  James Parker(Robustus) made at least some of what Oetzi had with him when he was found. I have seen the grass rain cape and a few other things James made.
  Here are a few pics I took at the Smithsonian a few years ago in Washington.....

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline thomas h

Offline badcolesonbad

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »
Thanks guys. That axe is next on my list. I got a copper rod that I will make the bit out of.

Offline thomas h

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
Bad, a friend of mine from Maryland (Guy Neal) made an Otzei quiver an it is on display in a museum in Italy along with the orginal. The orginal s strap was missing so there was some controvery over how it was worn an Guy came up with the unique idea that it was worn down your front left breast area. Served a couple of purposes, This is the vulnerable area of right hand archer facing an enemy archer when in the drawing position so acted as a shield an doesn,t flag game like when reaching over shoulders an getting arrows, Also Otzei had a pack frame on so this kinda eliminates back quiver styles. Guy made his quiver from all natural materials and tools like bone awls for punching holes an such, I got to try it on an it was very functional. Guy got the orginal dimesions but I do not know where. I believe Guy is teaching Primitive skills over in Maryland, you should see this man make dogbane string , looks store bought perfect diameter start to finish no thick an thin. Hope this helps some Later Bob

Offline badcolesonbad

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:07 pm »
I hope to do the same. Im gathering stuff to make tools now, and after this weekend I should have some bow knowledge, that's the hard part I guess. The quiver looks well thought out and beautifully simple.  I have always admired it. The axe to. It has just always appealed to me. I cant wait to try making my own.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »
cant believe I never heard of this guy before this post! thanks for making it. defiantly some inspiration here  8)
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:29:36 am »
nibbling, Google Oetzi   Very interesting find and story. His bronze ax pre-dated the bronze age by 3000 years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:59:22 pm »
Someone on the PA website posted a great pictorial of replicating Oetzi's quiver.  He did a great job of communicating the steps in pictures.  The link is http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18115.msg251416.html#msg251416

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:03:23 pm by swamp monkey »