Author Topic: Best Way To Build A Tillering Tree?  (Read 6170 times)

tradrick

Best Way To Build A Tillering Tree?
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:54:16 pm »
Hey guys,I'm wanting to start building a tillering tree for my shop.I plan on mounting it to the wall.From pics I've seen it looks pretty basic but I want to make sure.Is'nt it usally just a 2x4 or something with a shelf built on top to hold the bow.Then you can hook your bow scale on the bow string with a rope tied to the bottom of the scale and through a pulley to excercise the limbs and determine what the draw weight is at a given draw length.Am I missing anything?Also draw length is determined from the back of the bow or the front of were the shelf would be and the measurements down the 2x4 should start from the back of the bow.Am I correct?If not someone please correct me.And if anyone has any pics of their set-up please post.Thanks tradrick

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Best Way To Build A Tillering Tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:45:43 am »
Hey, check out Tn hickory comes to michigan, Danas tree is K.I.S.S. and works really well,just look at his pics. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:50:02 am »
Thanks Auggie, yea keep it simple all ya need is a 2x4  with abracket to hold bow or in my case I used a floor joist to attach the bracket.
A back board with reference marks is also nice. I used a piece of cardboard although I think I will upgrade to plywood as I have found a free piece ;D
Two pulleys could be an advantage as you get compounded pulling force=less effort to pull, could be nice when exercising the limbs.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:50:47 pm »
There is a detailed picture of Greg's on here, http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1637.0.html    and George has some on his site.    Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tradrick

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:32:17 pm »
Thanks for the help as usual guys.I knew it was pretty basic I just wanted to make sure there was'nt anything I was leaveing out.I like the board in the back with the lines that would help as a visuale aid in tillering.And since I'm still pretty green at this I need all the help I can get.tradrick

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

A couple of suggestions...I would make sure that saddle where the bow handle will rest has straight vertical sides, and a width not to excessive. If you're tillering a bow with reflex, it will want to jump out of the saddle if not secure with shims...the straight sides help allow for easier securing of the bow.

Also I would make sure that the saddle is offset such that the scales and rope are pulling down directly under the bow handle, not slanted.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:30:21 pm »
Another feature I think is worth a few extra dollars is a good pulley. I like to use automotive type idler pulley's with sealed and lubricated ball bearings. They are very smooth and well worth the extra $20.00. Steve