Author Topic: Sinew bowstring revisited (pics)  (Read 5114 times)

Hartung

Sinew bowstring revisited (pics)
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:03:58 pm »
Hi friends,

I’ve been reading the PA forum for a long time but I never had the opportunity to post some of the things that I’ve made.

Now, two weeks ago I asked questions about how to make a sinew bowstring http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3084.0.html. So, I’ve been working on it since then, have been doing some exercise and lots of testing. Today, I shot my first two bowstrings. Here are some pics.

1. One of my first finger loop braided sinew sample string with 25# weight on one end for testing. I left this string outside during the night to test-pull it the following morning. Result: no problem.

2. Another test string after pulling it: bad splice.

3. Long bowstring: test-pulled 70 times to 90-100# without problem. Shot in today 50 times from a 50# longbow. This is a small diameter “below” 1/8” sinew bow string. No noticeable difference in arrow speed compared to a 14 strand Dacron B50.

4. Long bowstring: test-pulled 30 times to 90-100# without problem. Shot in today 30 times from a 50# longbow. This is a bigger diameter “around” 1/6” sinew bow string. Arrow speed seems to be a bit slower than a 14 strand Dacron B50. The sinew repeatedly slapped against my bow arm which has a big red spot now just in front of the thumb  ;)

5. Bowyers knot on bow scale, thick string.

6. Ear, thick bow string

7. I was shooting in bad weather today  ;D.

9. Bowyers knot on bow nock.

9. Ear on bow nock.

Thanks once more for your help and thanks for looking.
PS: Any comments or suggestions for improving things are welcome (Ex.: I’m not very happy with the bowyers knot on a sinew bow string)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Sinew bowstring revisited (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:38:20 pm »
Great looking strings.  I tried a bowyers not on my sinew string.  It really sucks to untie. After that I used a modified double half hitch.  It was much better.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:21:03 pm »
  Thanks for the pictorial.I've yet to make one that didn't break.I'm saving my squirrel skins this year and try a rawhide string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:15 pm »
 Maybe I'll give sinew a try.The rawhide strings I made seemed to break for no reason or were just too thick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?