Author Topic: Sweet Summertime! (Will be picture heavy.)  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Parnell

Sweet Summertime! (Will be picture heavy.)
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:27:02 pm »
The time has come.  I'm checking out of school and am ready to start me-time.

List of things to do over the next two months:

1.  Build a bow, string, and arrows out of local native materials using native made tools, no electricity.   Kill something and make dinner.
2.  Catch a tarpon, let it go.
3.  Learn the basics of welding, build a smoker.
4.  Learn to use a cast net well.  Catch Mullet and smoke 'em.  (The fish not the Lakeland Ninja.)
5.  Explore the 10,000 islands, some.
6.  Apply to graduate school.  Whoopie.

Let's see how much of this I can accomplish.  I've borrowed one of these "GoPro" waterproof video cameras that are smaller than my cell phone.  I'm figuring on recording these endeavors and posting onto YouTube.  Perhaps I should start a thread?

Stephen
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:13:54 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Sweet Summertime!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:30:57 pm »
Have fun with that adventure. I will be working and enjoying a reasonably quiet house after my daughter goes off to college and takes her baby with her. Just me n the wife and son left in the house. Might actually get some work done without packing a grandkid or two around. ;D, Va what - vacation? whats that?  Haven't taken a real one in years. Might have to do that sooner rather than later though.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:49:05 pm »
You should definitely start a thread and post the videos/pictures.  I would love to see some ocean adventures.  Your summer list looks a lot more interesting than mine.  It includes: cleaning up my shop, finish a couple of bows, make some hunting arrows, and catch a few catfish.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:55 am »
My Summer Schedule looks something like this.
Work all week. :'( :'( Every Week.
Mow the Grass every weekend. 
Work on bow or two when I am not Mowing the Grass.
Catch a few fish and go see Pappy when I don't have to Mow the Grass.

Parnell:  I have made a total Caveman Bow.  All stone tools.  Start your bow with green wood.
Use LARGE ( two Hands required ) stone tools to carve it.  They work much better than small ones.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:28:35 am »
Come get my stone ax. It's already taken down a couple of small oaks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »
Ben, just wish I could add - catch a fish in Yosemite  to the list.  Next year.
OO - Ocean adventures I can do, I'll keep you posted.
David - that's what I'm thinking, green wood and large tools, ie.  I understand about being the working man, I've been there before.  What did you make your string out of?
Eddie - Don't think you're getting off the hook in all this business without being a part of the project.  A already made stone ax, huh?  That would make things easier...but, then I'd miss the first step!  Next to making cordage, or a fire, perhaps...

Alright, banana cordage?  Cedar bark cordage?  Yucca cordage?  Century Plant cordage?  Coconut husk cordage?  Hmmm....

Stave choices - Sea Grape, Black mangrove, Australian Pine (not native).

I've got a coral hand axe from the Alafia River.  Got a hammerstone and some spike buck tines...
1’—>1’

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:21:39 pm »
Glad to hear it! Been out of school since may 23 and loving it! No snow days this year. I have a similar list but no saltwater near me. Good luck with #6, got it done a couple years ago-whew!
Love to see pics of the progress!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29:32 pm »
Sounds like a good summer. Post pics for sure.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:42:11 pm »
I was hanging out with Louie the dog, and the mail man nocked on the door.  Here I am making collard greens, black eyed peas, and barbequed hog and an absolute surprise of a black locust stave just shows up at my doorstep!  Thank you Auggie, you're the man!  Mi casa es su casa, mi amigo!
1’—>1’

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 12:42:39 am »
Looks like you need to modify #1 or add #7 to your list with the new stave. ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 06:25:20 pm »
There's nothing like stock made from hog spine to make a good batch of collard greens and black eyed peas.  I BBQ'd a hog leg last night, it's funny, there were two 5 year old kids, picky eaters and their parents were astounded to see them wolfing down collard greens and wild game.  Guess real food just rings a bell with people, no matter how old you are.
1’—>1’

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:33:28 am »
Black-eyed peas and collards what is it a New Years feast ? Good luck with the list call me when your smokin' mullet 8)
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:53:28 am »
That's some good eatin right there you shoulda seen the TN boys eatin rutabagas. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:15 pm »
Ran several miles this morning and then swam with my dogs.  Decided to take a ride out to Immokalee to Jack and Ann's feed & tack.  Picked up a farrier's rasp and a handle to finally replace the shingling hatchet I received in trade from Katana Parker.  It's a good hatchet, Eddie.  I think I got the better end of the trade.

I took my first video using this "GoPro" camera this evening replacing the head.  I'm working on uploading them to "the tube".  I need to pick up a piece of technology to make it happen, though.  The USB cable doesn't want to read.  Coming soon, to a theater near you...a bald, one eyed man, replacing hatchet heads and making stone age tools and weapons.  Hey look at the Tarpon! ;D

1’—>1’

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:07 am »
Parnell:  I made my string out of Sinew.  It seems to hold up much better than anything else.  And is actually much easier to process.

Jackcrafty has a video on how to do it.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama