Author Topic: Burlington Brothers - the beginning  (Read 5979 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Burlington Brothers - the beginning
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:44:31 pm »
Scott that's a mighty fine bow! John looks happy with her. You did great with those skins and the tips look excellent. Always happy to corrupt folks with the beauty of mesquite :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 08:35:19 pm »
so ya missed the # by a few, he got one heck of a sweet bow, and he look's down right happy with it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Stringman

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 09:44:08 pm »
Thanks Bub. Youre right I think he is pleased with it. The untold half of that story is that I always have trouble shooting against him. Every time we compete he walks away with it and leave sme feeling like a kid.  ::) And now I made him another bow he seems to shoot well... I really need to start practicin more!

Cipriano- You were right about that root color. It does appear to be a shade darker than normal. In any case it is a very nice accent on that bow. Thanks again!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 12:04:51 am »
Good grief, Stringbeans, you really set the bar high with that bow.  I will endeavor to bear down and do you proud with the stave you gifted me. 

For the rest of you, I have the stave down to a growth ring.  I dunno how old this stave is, but it is seasoned to a fair-thee-well.  The rings slipped right off under my new spokeshave.  It was a pleasure and I was tempted to take the whole thing down one ring at a time until there was nothing left.  But the honor of the Burlington Brotherhood required I save enough to make a bow.  I'll get some pictures and I will post my own thread on my part of this tryptic trade.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:40 am »
Haha! If youre refering to that little jewel of craftsmanship that I almost tried to take from you... Then I bet that was a fun stave to whittle on. That was a beaut of a spoke shave!!

And I would like to point out that this is not a contest, (I think you already know that.) More a comparison of three different bow types being made from the same piece of wood. The fun will be in seeing these three bows drawn side by side. I meant to apply no pressure. Just couldnt help myself to get the ball rolling.  :laugh:

Thanks to both Johns for agreeing to humor me in this endeavor!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 10:21:04 am »
I like that Scott has made me a bow that can shoot  better than my bows now i can really get the best of him in the next shootin contest. Maybe i can split you arrow instead of just hitting the notch hehe. Notice i did not tell the whole story.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 11:52:56 am »
 ;D ;D  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 02:21:23 pm »
You are right, this is not a contest between the three of us, I never felt that way.  BUT...with the regard I have for the other two participants I can accept no less from my own efforts than my very best. 

I'm starting to get an idea on what I am going to do with that stave.  She is starting to whisper to me in my sleep and tell me what she wants.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 10:53:39 am »
Fun adventure you guys.Great tree too.You got my vote.Made myself another yellow bow too 65" 56.5# at 28" while waiting for my sinew bow to cure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed