Author Topic: New arrows in progress  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
New arrows in progress
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:04:31 pm »
Haven't worked any new arrows for awhile and thought I'd get started by trying my hand with some hill cane that was sent to me by Pat B. I normally use japanese bamboo but Pat was kind enough to send me these to try. Must say that so far I'm impressed with the hill cane. Got them straight and the nocks filed and will proceed with sealing and fletching shortly. Thanks Pat. > Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New arrows in progress
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:17:58 am »
You are welcome Fred. You have done a nice job with them so far. Looking forward to seeing them finished.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:15:31 am »
Great job on the cane Fred.  Hey, did you get your serving jig?

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 11:38:00 am »
those look nice!! how does hill cane compare to rivercane?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »
Wow!  And I thought I liked low fletching!   >:D

One of these days I gotta try my hand at cane.  Invariably they make good looking arrows, they just have this "something" about them that is eye catching. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
Been busy cutting wood and weeding/mulching the garden the last few days and haven't got much else done around here but did manage to get the shafts sealed and started the fletching last night.
Separated them into weight range and will use the 4 heaviest (490 gr and above) for stumping and small game arrows.

3 of them weighed 451, 451 and 456 grains and I'll set them up with 150 gr steel trade points for hunting and the remainder I'll tip with 16D duplex nails for Field points. 

Charlie the server arrived Thursday and thank you, now all I have to do is figure how to use it. I've been serving freehand.

The hill cane seems to compare favorably to some of the top quality bamboo I've used and almost as easy to straighten although I did break 2 of them by being a bit aggressive on the nodes. Also much easier to work with than the river cane that I tried.

You might have noticed the color of the nocks in the pictures. What I did was went out to the mulberry trees and picked up about 1/2 cup of fruit from the ground and smashed it up and then dipped the end of the shaft just to add a little contrast. Think I'm going to try it again as cane and bamboo don't accept stain readily but this seems to have worked fairly well.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »
Fred, if you sanded the nodes they should take more of the stain there than the internodes. Once the rind is sanded off the cane will accept stains better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:06:15 pm »
I have shaft envy Fred............love the colors and texture. Very nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:19:35 pm »
Unfortunately the green will fade to tan over time. If you lay them in sunlight, even faster.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:02 pm »
Still cool shafts. Too bad the green doesnt stick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10:05 am »
Talk about perfect camo, keeping the green would be nice. Here's a couple of stumpers with the yellow/black, another couple target, and a look at the real thing, the hunting shafts. Sure wish I could find some nice green or purple stone points.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:15 am »
Those look straight as an arrow!  Nice work Fred!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:25:31 am »
Looking good,nice work on them.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scowler

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 08:38:21 am »
Cool arrows.  I really like the fletching design.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »
I did work a bit on them last night and earlier today. Sure would like to find some nice stone to shove into the end of them. I kinda like this hill cane!!!!
Reminds me of these in a way. I sure do like working with arrows.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:44:21 pm by Fred Arnold »