Author Topic: Weak metal heads  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Kegan

Weak metal heads
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:10:48 pm »
Okay, so I have a large supply of not-so-stiff metal that I could make points outta. They get razor sharp and are easily made... but also easily bent. Thing is, I wonder if you could "W" the center of the point lengthwise to make it a strong, reliable broadhead. Any other ideas?

I'll have to experiment with it tomarrow and see how it turns out :).

DBernier

Re: Weak metal heads
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:23 pm »
Kegan, if you have a small torch you could heat treat them. It is no big deal with something so small and if they are steel. You need not know the exact composition of the material. The guys who do forging can tell you a simple process.

Dick

Offline possum

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:27:28 pm »
You could just braze a smaller piece along the center kinda like Magnus does.  Just don't worry with the ferrule and make it a tie on.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:04:26 pm »
  You could make the "point" short and round and sharpen it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 02:19:03 am »
Ive seen the W point used by some Floridian primitive turkey hunters and they seem to knock those toms dead quick with those Ws! Give em a try! Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline possum

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:39:32 am »
The heat treating is really simple with a magnet.  Just heat the steel til the magnet no longer sticks to the steel the then quench it in oil, vegetable, motor and my personal favorite, transmission fluid.  Then use a torch to temper it.  You want to polish the metal with sandpaper so you can see it change color, the heat it up until the edges turn a straw color.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 07:18:38 pm »
It was just a little experiment (I've got some better metal for points), but it worked. They came out more of an elongated "Z", but it didn't wanna bend. I don't need them, but it is still nice to know that I can do something with what's lying around :).

Robinwho

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:03:12 pm »
Use a torch and heat them until red then soak in ice cold water immediately and see if the metal stiffens.

MattE

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 08:48:49 am »
If your metal doesn't have any carbon in it, you can't temper it.