Author Topic: Newb here  (Read 4448 times)

Loogster

Newb here
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:17:08 pm »
Hi everyone. So im a new guy...duh. I just had a few random questions about some archery stuff. I honestly dont remember how I got into the primitive archery, i think its because im 18 and a history major but I just have some questions about the switch cane. I live in Oregon south of Eugene near several major river systems and I have no idea if the switch cane grows along these rivers. I found something last weekend fishing that I think was it but not sure. It was very thin (about pencil eraser size) Im just think the river cane would be much nicer looking and perhaps easier to make than splitting some cedar even though its all over around here. Any help is appreciated
-Logan 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Newb here
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:31:46 pm »
Logan, welcome to the message boards.  I cant really tell you much about the cane, but a scientific name and a picture would sure help others help you.  There are way to many types of cane and way to many of them are called the wrong name.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:30:33 am »
Welcome Logan. There are 2 native canes(bamboo) in the US and both I believe are indigenous to the Eastern US. They are switch cane and river cane(common names), Arundaneria tecta and A. gigantia. They could have been transplanted in Oregon. You may be able to grow these or other types of "arrow" cane in your area. Like Justin said, if you can post pics or I D them by botanical name(maybe even common name) we can probably let you know whether or not you can use it for arrows.
   You probably have other plants in your area that would produce shoots for arrows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Loogster

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 01:35:49 pm »
On my next day off Sunday im going chinook fishing and while im in the rive ill find this plant and take a picture and hopefully one of my catch  ;D   
From what i've looked at the plant fits the description but I pulled some of the larger stalks up (about 5 feet high) but their thin so I have no idea.
I know theres other stuff growing around here to use for arrows but for someone whos learning something thats widely available is very nice
-Logan

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:42:18 pm »
Pat, as of last year, we officially have a third one: Arundinaria appalachiana, hill cane. It's a bit smaller than switch cane and drops its leaves in the winter. Logan, pics would help. As PAt said, none of the native canes grow naturally in your area, but it could have been planted there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:55:27 pm »
Steve, Thats good to know. Is it suitable for arrows or is it too small?  I have cane all over my woods, some is pretty small on the higher ridges.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC