Author Topic: kids bows  (Read 3949 times)

wrightbrigade

kids bows
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:22:21 pm »
I just recently finish my first bow, it's a 72 inch red oak board bow.  It turned out really well, I did not back it because the grain was perfect.  It pulls at 47 once it broke in it was 50 at first, at 28 inch draw, two inches string follow.  Well now my kids wan't some too, so tonight after work I roughed out a couple.  I figured I could scale down everything and still be ok, even if they only pull 25 that would be more than enough.  I decided on 47 inches.  The limbs are like the pyrimid bow.  That is unlike the one I just built actually but I wanted the taper to be go more towards that handle to reduce limb mass so they would pull nice and easy.  Question is,  am I asking to much here, do you think it will work out?  Thanks!

I am going to back these!

Offline DanaM

Re: kids bows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:48:11 am »
I just recently finish my first bow, it's a 72 inch red oak board bow.  It turned out really well, I did not back it because the grain was perfect.  It pulls at 47 once it broke in it was 50 at first, at 28 inch draw, two inches string follow.  Well now my kids wan't some too, so tonight after work I roughed out a couple.  I figured I could scale down everything and still be ok, even if they only pull 25 that would be more than enough.  I decided on 47 inches.  The limbs are like the pyrimid bow.  That is unlike the one I just built actually but I wanted the taper to be go more towards that handle to reduce limb mass so they would pull nice and easy.  Question is,  am I asking to much here, do you think it will work out?  Thanks!

I am going to back these!

Not sure what you mean? If you mean where on the limb the taper starts a pyramid bow begins to taper right out of the fades to the tip. What kind of draw length
are you shootin for, draw length can help you decide on the length of the bow. A short bow with long draw will stack more than a longer bow will. Give us a bit more info and I'm sure someone can help you.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:50:02 am »
Make them a little longer than you want them. Then you can pike them later to increase the weight.  This allows the kids to grow and keep using the bow.  Like Dana said, you can taper from the fades.  I often taper from the fades to the tip in a straight line. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 04:40:48 pm »
  You can see the one I posted in July I made for my Grandson.I made it from a 4'oak board backed with silk.It came out about 25#.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

wrightbrigade

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:08:15 pm »
Mullet, that really answers my question.  Yours was 44'' and mine, well I've got two roughed out are both 47, the limbs taper from the handle.  I just didn't know if a red oak board bow would word being that short.  I'll post some pic's with all three bows later.  Thanks guys.