Author Topic: Arrows  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Arrows
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:30:13 am »
Tapered fir shafts sinew wrapped turkey fletch.  I have since cut fletch a bit down  a bit.  I love the full height fletch for sound, stability and looks, but outside of 15 yds they just die.  Inside of 15yds they look to jump up, as if gaining a little altitude, but maybe that's just my eyes.

Earth pigments in hide glue for cresting paint
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:24:22 am »
Them are sweet,good looking bunch of arrows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:49 am »
Like Pappy said, those are sweet looking arrows.  What type of paint did you use for the cresting?

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:16 am »
very nice CMB-those are some the perty arrows ive seen in awhile
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:58 am »
Thanks Pappy, Scowler, and Sadie.  I really enjoyed making them.  And now love shooting them!

Scowler, I used eggshell for the white (chicken eggs), though I think bone or shell might grind up a little finer.  I will try that next.  The black was charcoal from the fireplace.  The red was some red rock (ochre?) that I collected on a spring bear hunt.  All were crushed up using mortar and pestle.  I have some brighter colors, red, blue, and green, that I have made from the kids sidewalk chalk.  Might have to make some flashier arrows with some of those colors next batch.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:16 am »
Those are some nice arrows, I really, really like the looks of them. Takes skill and artistry to make arrows that nice. I'd be careful where I shot those, wouldn't want to lose one under the leaves. Great work on those CMB.   Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.