Author Topic: another new guy  (Read 2887 times)

Offline MuggyMan

another new guy
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:32 am »
Hi everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and say how happy I am that I found this forum. I grew up hunting and fishing, but then got busy with other stuff  for a couple decades. Then a few years ago, one of my good buddies was telling me about his elk hunting trip and it sounded like a lot of fun. I've since filled my tags on two nice cows. We didn't get drawn for elk this year, so I started thinking about archery deer as you can get over-the-counter tags for archery deer here in Arizona. I started looking at the newest compound bows and all the gizmos that go with them, and really didn't want to plunk down $500 or more for equipment. So I started thinking about making my own bow and started doing a little research. I started making a flat bow out of a red oak board left over from a project a couple of years ago. I started it before I stumbled onto this wonderful place a few days ago, and it won't qualify as a primitive bow as I'm using a fiberglass backing, but so far the only money I've spent is for a sure shape at the hardware store. Now I'm looking forward to collecting some sinew this year and making a primitive bow. I've been looking at the pics in the hunting forum, and I must say I am so thrilled to know there are people out there hunting this way! Looking forward to getting to know y'all, and I have a lot of questions. (A lot have been answered already from reading through this forum the last few days). Anyway, I'm gonna be off the grid for the next week, but I'll check in when I get back.

Darrell

Offline gstoneberg

Re: another new guy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:16:18 am »
Welcome Darrell.  If you ever get over to Dallas stop by and I'll send you home with some elk-worthy staves.  I think the new hog lease is crawling with pecan, elm and hackberry saplings that are growing real close and straight.  I'm hoping to put a bunch of them in the shop in the next week.  One of them might do for you as well.  Happy bow making. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:58:04 am »
Welcome. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MuggyMan

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:46 am »
Thanks for the welcome.