Author Topic: First trip of season report  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Little John

First trip of season report
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:36:11 am »
I got to the high country of Colorado over the Labor Day weekend to kick off my Elk hunting season. Back packed in during the middle of Friday night and hunkered  down in a proven good spot  till dawn to start hunting. Hunted till noonish with out seeing an elk or much sign so continued on to my camping spot about four miles from the road. Hunted thr rest of Saturday and Sunday  with the same results and was dissipointed with every thing except the camping, stump shooting, long walks in the woods, well when you think about it it wasn't so bad. Monday morning I got ready for a morning hunt then pack up and out as wasn't expecting much. About mid morning I found a spot that I had never been to only close to and it seemed to be the elk living room and bed room, about ten well used trails came together like the spokes in a wheel to a crossing and wallow. I set up a quickie ground blind and plan to stand hunt for a while, the first elk (cow) comes in about 30-45 minutes later and catches me dozing, I just open my eyes and an elk is standing there at about 25 yards, she quickly goes behind a tree drinks and leaves after about a minute with out offering a shot. About ten minutes later I hear a hoof bump a log and a few minutes later I glance around and there is a bull looking at me from about 45-50 yards, I think he must have caught some motion when I turned as he kindof angled away and just walked off. A few minutes later a weanling came bounding in, the wind shifted and she didn, need her mamma to tell her to leave on the same trail she cane in on. After hunting much later than I planned on and getting rained on I decided to go ahead and call it and go out the different way so I knew two ways to get back to the new spot. Stupid me I was looking for land marks and thinking of comming back when I bumped two bulls from their beds, diddn't take off in a panic just walked away.Well  to say the least I am anxious to get back this weekend. Will back pack in after work again in the dark Friday night and try to hunt a bit smarter this time.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

tradrick

Re: First trip of season report
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:44:52 am »
Great story.If your haveing incounters like that it won't be long til one of em make a mistake.Good luck tradrick

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:21:58 am »
Thanks Rick, really hoping to make my first primitive big game harvest.  Colorado isn't hopelessly expensive to hunt for elk, even non resident. If any of our primitive archer buddies would like to try, I could at least point you at a good spot.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:04:40 am »
Kenneth, Were you anywhere I would recognize? Sounds like some excitement. Wish I were there with you again this year. :'( ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:22:59 am »
Pat, start saving a little along . It will be cheaper this time as you already have the gear, drive out and maybe bring a buddie to share expenses and driving, I will even help you with the expense of the non resident tag. I still want to get you a shot at that elk. Oh by the way how is the ankle these days?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:44:16 am »
Ankle is back to normal. Took 6 months or more, though.  I will be back again. This time I will walk out! ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC