Author Topic: The real deal  (Read 2505 times)

Offline iowabow

The real deal
« on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
This is the kinda thing i want to be able to do. I think i am getting close.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: The real deal
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »
The right side was the platform side for the bottem.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
Nothing random about that. Beauty work !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:49:50 pm »
I did not make this one it is an artifact

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:31:26 am »
Awesome flaking pattern. Great example of why we think of our ancestors as masters. That is a really nice point. What is the history behind it... did you find it?  and if I remember right, your last posting showing your ABO work showed very a similar flaking pattern, so hey, you are not to far behind the person that made this one.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »
I love those big and thin points with perfect flaking. They were good..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »
They sure were...and so are most of you guys.  I'm gonna have to try some antler.  Not sure which rack I'm gonna pull off the wood and cut up though. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:32:41 pm »
Awesome flaking pattern. Great example of why we think of our ancestors as masters. That is a really nice point. What is the history behind it... did you find it?  and if I remember right, your last posting showing your ABO work showed very a similar flaking pattern, so hey, you are not to far behind the person that made this one.
I like how it is not perfect but also a well made point. I hope to be this good soon. I have retooled some of my pressure flakers to see if i can get those smaller flake on the new point i am working on.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
I often wonder if those ancient masters may have been made by those too old to fight & too slowt hunt. Therfore they sat back & made the wonders we marvel at today. Maybe I'm a sap! The detail in some points can be produced by men who have lived there lives & have easier days to live.  My thoughts of course. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:52:57 pm »
Dang nice point John.  So.. did yu find it? Let's have another look @ you abo tools. dpg

(7)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 12:52:35 am »
Dang nice point John.  So.. did yu find it? Let's have another look @ you abo tools. dpg

(7)
This was one of the best points from a collect of 4000 points. It is a paleo point. Hey i will make a post for my ABO tools in the morning.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:34:34 am »
Kinda along the lines with what you said Don. This style reminds me alot of the type of knapping Alexander Swoose used to do with his leather wrap and buff horn. His was fog but popped those flakes edge to edge all the way both sides - beautiful work. And he was oooooold...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 05:04:42 pm »
I often wonder if those ancient masters may have been made by those too old to fight & too slowt hunt. Therfore they sat back & made the wonders we marvel at today. Maybe I'm a sap! The detail in some points can be produced by men who have lived there lives & have easier days to live.  My thoughts of course. Tower
that's what i've always thought, the rest of the tribe has to have a reason to keep feeding you, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹