Author Topic: Tip Overlays ?  (Read 7461 times)

8up

Tip Overlays ?
« on: September 05, 2007, 09:34:38 pm »
After gluing them on how do you blend them into the back of the bow? I have fought with this on the other bows I have built. So come on guys tell me how you go about blending them in.

Thanks, Ron
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:39:32 pm by 8up »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Tip Overlays ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:58:57 pm »
  I start out with a file and then fine tune with a Dremel with the small sanding drum.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:03:33 pm »
Thanks Ron - this'll help me. I've done a couple with a file, and they looked pretty good I thought. Sounds like I may have to break out the dremel :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:18 pm »

hi ron!  -  maybe you want to check my overlay build-along:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1729.0.html

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:48:11 pm »
Ok, apparently I'm the only lazy person here... I taper the overlay with a beltsander before I glue it on. Quick, and turns out well if you do it carefully.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

8up

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 11:51:37 pm »
Frank I found your post after I posted this. You make beautiful tips. I am trying to figure out how and which tools you use to blend the overlays to the back of the bow towards the handlewithout gouging the back

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:06:30 am »
Ron you will have to remove some wood from the tips just to flatten them to match the flat overlay glue surface. Your glue surfaces have to be flat...or matched perfectly. I usually start with a limb tip that is wider than the final tip, glue on the overlay and reduce the tip to its final shape. If you pre-shape the overlays before hand you get a cleaner finish later(at least I do).     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

8up

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 12:34:24 am »
The dremel tool sounds like the ticket. I have no problem with the sides  its just this area

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 12:38:11 am »
I feather that area before I glue it down.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:53:43 am »
I do like waterlogged,just thin them to a sharp edge before I glue. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

MattE

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:09:39 am »
What works best for me is to make my tip overlays on the end of a 3/4" X 3/4" any comfortable length over 6" long piece of hard wood. After I have a nice thin taper I cut it off and sand the bottom to remove saw marks. Now I only have to dress down the sides to fit to the width of my bow tips. You can get as fine a taper as you desire this way.

Offline possum

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:18 am »
Wow, I just file.  When I get into the back a little I just sand it smooth.  I sand at the end anyway.  But I suppose if you have thin rings it may be a little different.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 12:26:11 pm »

i use file and mainly drawblade and REALLY try hard not to hit the bowwood at all, later i sand and that's it.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 01:09:09 pm »
I usually use the Dremel/sanding drum, too, and finish with hand sanding.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 08:43:34 pm »
8up,To keep from gouging the wood in front of the tips with the file and Dremell,I lay a coupling of strips of masking tape at the glue line.That way I have a little warning to go slower when I start nicking the tape.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?