Author Topic: ABO thoughts  (Read 4738 times)

Offline iowabow

ABO thoughts
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:39 pm »
When I started knapping I did a lot of thinning with copper and then with the ishi stick but when I switched to the antler I had trouble thinning and reducing without steps. With the copper it seems like i can just power through platforms without having to do a lot of preperation work. So if  I work the stone the same way with antler the flake will step or not release at all. Below are pictures of my flakes that I have removed by creating ridges and then preparing each with relief flakes like nipples. The X flakes are those that have been removed and the A flakes are the flakes i plan to remove.  on the back side the flakes do not the middle because of the dip.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline StevenT

Re: ABO thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:55:47 pm »
Looks like the start of a follow-along. If so, great start and looking forward to next pics. Could you show a pic of a platform that you set up. What is the stone? and looks like you had a pretty good preform to start from?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »
Looks like the start of a follow-along. If so, great start and looking forward to next pics. Could you show a pic of a platform that you set up. What is the stone? and looks like you had a pretty good preform to start from?
The preform was from a rough rock of Burlington chert. I can show you the pre platform phase. When i set up for a flake i will take a few more pictures.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
Thanks for the pics. and info. Just wondering if using hammer stones would have the same hinge issues as antler. Do you think it's a mass issue or more about the hardness of the billet? Also I wonder if it's harder to control how much of the platform edge comes in contact with the billet? Anyway, I sure enjoy seeing the abo work!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
I think that it is kinda both. The antler is absorbing some of the energy but the mass is compensated by just using a larger antler but contact area might be larger. Makes for intresting thinking. I was able to remove each of the flakes with little trouble by preparing each platform but lost the continous ridge because of the large ridge near the base. I should be able to isolate that large ridge at the base later. Also i got a small step from the presure flaker on the last flake. I am not worried at all about the step because it is very small and sits in the middle of the platform.  also that os small potatoes comapred to the reduction plan for the back.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:38:06 pm »
Ive GOT to learn that technique from ya, John. Nice flakes!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »
Ive GOT to learn that technique from ya, John. Nice flakes!
Heck ya you will pick it up in 5 minutes. It is the same as copper but just more carefully done.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:06:09 am »
Wow. It's hard for me to explain what I see to others and you just did it . If I think when I'm knapping I fail . It just has to happen
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »
More

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 01:40:57 pm »
More

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »
All I need to do at this point is push deltas and bring tip to a point, notch and the point is complete. But that's not what I'm going to do. I have been working hard on co-lateral edge flaking. So my plan is to push of deltas with punch. Then start my flaking pattern.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »
So far 15 flakes have been removed. I am very lucky that they have not stepped. There are about 6 to 10 small pressure flakes removed before percussion of isolated platform. About 6 very small flakes are removed to create the platform. Then two lateral pressure flakes are removed to create the isolated ridge. Two relief flakes are taken from the back side.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:57:58 pm »
As you can see from the last picture the preform is left a little thick so we will have some convexity for the final flakes.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:32 pm »
At this point I think it's important to note wider platforms create wider flakes narrower platforms create longer more narrow flakes. Good examples are the last 2 flakes

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »
I am not sure why everything I'm drawing is working perfectly but it normally does not happen this way. Honestly I am really not this good. Scott will tell you he's seen me break a lot of points.