Author Topic: dowel machines  (Read 9392 times)

Offline T. Talley

dowel machines
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:07:16 pm »
Does anyone know if the dowel machine called the Arrow Shooter that Three Rivers used to carry is still being made?  If so were can I find one?  Any input on how well it worked?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: dowel machines
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:11 am »
Don't know if they're still being made,Had one,worked fine. All it the shaft shooter is,is a router. You can buy a router cheaper and make shafts. Do a search here and you'll see some jigs and ect.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:30 am »
Google verita dowel maker.  A friend has one and we have made hundreds of arrows out of board wood that had been cut down to 1/2" squares and run the squares through  the dowel cutter with a drill.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:02 am »
The shaft shooter that 3R used to sell, is no longer made.

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
Google verita dowel maker.  A friend has one and we have made hundreds of arrows out of board wood that had been cut down to 1/2" squares and run the squares through  the dowel cutter with a drill.

What do you use to hold the blank?  I use a socket with a drill adaptor but it tends to strip the blank I guess you could call it.  Then i pound a smaller size on it and that works until you need to get the socket back off. :o  That kind of sucks.  It does turn out nice dowels though.
Kevin

Offline danlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:18 pm »
Are you guys talking about the 400$ dowel maker or the small 30$ ones? I bought the small 3/8" one - works ok but tears the wood a bit.

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:51 pm »
Are you guys talking about the 400$ dowel maker or the small 30$ ones? I bought the small 3/8" one - works ok but tears the wood a bit.

I have the veritas 3/8 cheap one.  Works good once it's adjusted.  For mine I set the blade to the second hash mark on both sides and it's grabs some but with straight grain poplar boards I get a good dowel just have to sand it smooth.  I did have a bit of a hassle until I got the blade depth right.
Kevin

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »
I stumbled across this video a while ago on youtube.  I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a pretty ingenious idea.  He made a dowel cutter from nothing more than a block of wood with a hole drilled in it, and part of a saw blade.  I imagine they would need a bit of sanding as well, but that's minor when you chuck them up in a drill.  After you watch it, you can see other similar setups in the related videos on the side bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDjedeJCZ0

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »
I think he was asking about this one, and it is no longer made or available.  And the retail on this one was right around $800.00 dollars.  It is called the Shaft Shooter

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 04:21:19 am »
I saw a great one recently some place.  Two hole drilled to meet in a block of wood.  One the diamater matching the size of the square stock the other the final size.  Then the hole was cut, or the block was and a chissen was clamped at a slight angle... like the pencil sharpener method.  So the hole is not split at the center.  It looked awesome, simple and cheap.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 07:26:53 pm »
I stumbled across this video a while ago on youtube.  I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a pretty ingenious idea.  He made a dowel cutter from nothing more than a block of wood with a hole drilled in it, and part of a saw blade.  I imagine they would need a bit of sanding as well, but that's minor when you chuck them up in a drill.  After you watch it, you can see other similar setups in the related videos on the side bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDjedeJCZ0
i made one of these, works real good, just use a fine cut blade, or you can clamp a file to it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »
 You can also use a tablesaw instead of a router.

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:43 am »
we are using the two piece Varita and a 1/2" socket.  No problems.  Just drill the square stock through the Varita slow and be as consistant as you can.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »
I have the 3/8 Veritas. I wasn't so stoked on it, but I've been fooling around with the depth of the cutter (thanks Kevinator) and it's getting better. I also switched wood. I just did a bunch of hickory shafts and they turned out really really great - quick sand and done. I don't think I'll bother with any other wood with the veritas, though I think that once i make my money back I'll get a router setup so i can try lighter wood.

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 01:22:18 pm »
I have the 3/8 Veritas. I wasn't so stoked on it, but I've been fooling around with the depth of the cutter (thanks Kevinator) and it's getting better. I also switched wood. I just did a bunch of hickory shafts and they turned out really really great - quick sand and done. I don't think I'll bother with any other wood with the veritas, though I think that once i make my money back I'll get a router setup so i can try lighter wood.

Yeah I was ready to throw the thing away until I got the depth right.  I've been using poplar.  It works great and the arrows are pretty durable.
Kevin