Author Topic: my first atlatl, oooga booga!!  (Read 4227 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
my first atlatl, oooga booga!!
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »
So I had the great opprotunity to throw Gun Doc's atlatl @ the classic on Sunday.  What a great dude he is.  I broke on of his darts on the secon throw and felt terrible, he said if he didn't want it to get broken, he'd a not let me throw it.  I've appologized several times and he's starting to get pissed about me appologizing, so I won't do it again here.  ;)  When I got home from the classic, I changed the family dynamic to the caveman life style w/ lots of ooga boogas and finding our primortal brains. Barefoot running and all that too.  ???  I made this cheap imitation of an atlatl , kinda small I think, never measured it, out of a piece of blue beech and antler attached w/ pitch and sinew. The dart out of a bamboo and a piece of POC for the foreshaft and a field point.  I broke the initial dart lastnight, but salvaged both pieces and used a longer POC to fix the first dart and a longer bamboo w/ the same short POC foreshaft.  One has chicken fletching the other goose, both are two fletched.  I haven't thrown either of these yet, I just finished them lastnight.  This is for you Josh.  Ya'll have a gooder now, thanks for looking, dpg

p.s. I can throw a dart about 50 yards, fairly accruate @ 20.  Maybe w/ a longer atlatl I could throw farther, huh?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:38:40 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: my first atlatl, oooga booga!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:01 pm »
Looks primitive! Nice job!

Jon

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »
Cool! 8)  thanks for putting that up.  It sounds like you are learning fast.  Someday, I will get out that way, hopefully before the classic comes around again.  I really like that atlatl.  Josh

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:03:26 am »
 ;D Thanks for the frplies Fellas!  I broke the goose fletched one on the third throw tonight.  Must be an unlucky fore shaft.  I'll burn it w/ a prayer and make another.  "make another" is what it's all about.  maybe make a longer atlatl too.  although the dart w. the heavier POC fore shaft went about 10 yards farther tonight.  Maybe all I need is a heavier dart?  Thanks for the replies, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)