Author Topic: Pre (and Post)-Fathers Day Points  (Read 5936 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Pre (and Post)-Fathers Day Points
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:21:42 pm »
I got a few minutes in the shop today with my son-in-law and knocked out 2 points. One is raw texas stone from Don and the other is raw coral from Eddie.  I first broke  a much larger preform, also raw, when I was really smacking it trying to get flakes to run to the center.  Then I picked up a smaller triangular spall from the same stuff and got a triangle point.  It was soo hard, by the time I get to notching I was pretty spent.  Didn't get the base very flat.  Reggie said he'd take it back to the Philippines and use it in his class when he teaches on native Americans.  Then I picked up a coral point I'd given up on as too thick and finished it up.  It isn't quite 7/8" wide, might send it off to somebody to hunt with that doesn't have the width limit we do.

Hope all you flint knapping Dad's have a great day tomorrow.  :)

George
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:53:02 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Pre-Fathers Day Points
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:20:40 am »
Nice points George!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:57 am »
That's some tough rock George. You did a great job beating it into submission. Great points.  Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:23:41 am »
Cant believe how well you did on them two raw rocks! Do you not have a cooker? One of the biggest steps I made in knappin came after I started usin heat treated stuff.

Nice points!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22:41 am »
Thanks guys. 

Do you not have a cooker? One of the biggest steps I made in knappin came after I started usin heat treated stuff.

Nope, I tried my little toaster oven once and it changed the surface color of some of the rocks, but as soon as I broke through that there didn't seem to be any difference.  I need to build myself something better.  Have been working on designs for a fire pit for the back yard large enough to cook rock.  Also watching Craig's List for kilns (and rock saws)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:22 am »
Nice points George! That coral is some nice stuff. I'm looking for a turkey roaster as well to cook some Buffalo River I picked up in TN.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:47:21 pm »
After a nap today I tried again.  AAARRRRGHGHHG

I had it thin and about the shape I want when I took out the ishi to run the final set of flakes and snapped it.  Good grief.  I went ahead and finished the point out.  Didn't do so well on symmetry, the granddaughters were begging me to go swim.

I have got to learn to line the notches up.  These were so far off in alignment I had to enlarge each one.  After that tough rock yesterday this one was really pleasant to work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »
what ever that point goes through they wont care if the notches are lined up or not.. Great save.. I have a bunch i have broke in a box to come back to later.  The box is getting pretty full may have to get another.  Again great job
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:32:33 am »
Them look good George! should be tough enough to hunt with for awhile..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »
those are nice points i had the great pleasure to meet you yesterday down in TX thank you for the goodes you gave me take care keep making nice points
Old timber bows

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »
Thanks Marty, I enjoyed meeting you too.  That one stave really split, much worse at the other end.  We must be a lot drier down here.  Thankfully it is right down the center so I'm gonna go for 2 staves with it.  You gave me some great stuff, much more than I brought for you.  Hopefully next time we can get out for a little hog hunting.  Tell your daughter I'm pulling for her. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
Good looking points G.  Every time I read one of your posts I want to go to the pit.  It's only 7p here, so I've got 3 hours of light left.  >:D dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »
Thanks. Good luck, I may sneak out to the shop before days end myself.  Right now I'm watching a movie with the granddaughters..."Dunston Checks In".  Until they go to bed I'm loving a monkey movie. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline chertle

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:17 pm »
George, you need to do some knapping and post pics so I can live vicariously through you >:D I am in Louisiana which is awesome but no time for knapping.  Hope I don't forget what little I had learned by the time I get back in a couple of weeks :-\ 
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 01:42:52 am »
George, you need to do some knapping and post pics so I can live vicariously through you >:D I am in Louisiana which is awesome but no time for knapping.  Hope I don't forget what little I had learned by the time I get back in a couple of weeks :-\ 

OK Leslie, I tried 2 spalls tonight.  (These are the first pictures with my new Pentax 18mp digital camera.  I'm still figuring it out so bear with me.)  The first spall was some really nice heat treated flint from Patrick.  It had a big hump in it that I was sure would give me trouble. 

But, I knocked the whole hump off on the first whack, I was soooo excited. ;D  Then I snapped it in 2 a few hits later. :'(

Tried to make a point out of the larger side, but there was a flaw in the base that kept messing up the flakes and ultimately it broke there.  Too bad (sorry about the bad picture).  Maybe if I'd been a little gentler I could have saved it?

Next, I took a nice keokuck spall:

and tried for a big point. It was really thin on one side and I blew out that side pushing to get longer flakes.  Got it into a little bit of a clovis shape, but I could not get flutes to run very far.  Ended up putting some shallow notches in it so I could haft it up.

Best I could do.  Have a nice time in Louisiana.

George
St Paul, TX