Author Topic: Piggy back stave.  (Read 8890 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Piggy back stave.
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »
I gave one of em a go today after work. Haven't had time to fetch a froe for the job, so did it with what I had on hand. Don't know that a froe would work with the grain being on a radius like it is anyway ???, seems like it would cut through a lot of rings on the edges.
  Had some railroad spikes laying around, thought they might work - but have come to the conclusion that you need a wedge with a more gradual slope to it. The stave did come off fairly easily, but I think I went through about six rings in the process. The stave looks like c%$$^%, but I went ahead and sealed it (if thiers a need?) I think so, and will prolly have a nice bow in it. Anyway, if any advice - lemme have it ;D ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Piggy back stave.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:22:25 pm »
You did a great job splitting it out.  I did a whole bunch of mulberry like that last year.  I took the wood chisle and scored the growth ring that I wanted it to seperate on all the way from one end to the other.  It worked great.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:31:52 pm »
  I've never split one out of a stave that wide.But when splitting one out of a thinner stave I start in the middle with my wedges and work the same ring to both ends.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:30:32 am »
I do it just like that just with a wedge.Most of the time it will bust right down the ring.
Clean it up a little and there is the back.I love belly splits. Good job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 07:47:23 am »
WHat I do when working with dry wood is I clean up both sides so I can clearly see the growth rings. Then I drive a 1" wide chisel into a single earlywood ring all the way around about 1/4" deep. By the time I get to where I started the staves just come apart
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

DCM

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:07:33 am »
I do like Marc, although I'm not as particular about kerfing all the way around with a chisel, I do try to lead the split a good bit.  I think the secret is the dry wood.  Seems to part in a ring much easier that way.  Obviously any snake, whoop-d-dos or big knots make it harder.  If you hopped a bunch of rings you can always make billets, one end having more complete rings than the other. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:10:50 am »
Looks pretty good for a first try Paul.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
OK, Thanks guys! Think I'll give it a try like that - running a ring all the way around with the chisel and see what happens, surely I wouldn't go through as many rings that way. Think I'm gonna take the bark off and seal a few of em, throw em in the top of the barn and forget about em for a few years.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:43:54 am »
I usually start with a hatchet, and then shove the froe in so its not pulling multiple rings off the sides.  More of a pry bar type action.  By the way, I had a froe made from a leaf spring so its not real thick or deep.

I'd caution you to first pull the bark off and see what your good outer stuff looks like, there've been times when I had to go down a few rings to get under some imperfectoin and you might wind up needing more depth than you think.  The piggyback stave isn't worth coming up short on the main staves.

But good job!  Looks like it'll be an intersting character stave with the knots and all.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline cowboy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:28 pm »
Thanks Lennie!! I think if I was to split the quarters in half the grain would be straighter across the end - not so much radius, and I'm still going to try the froe after I do that. You were absolutely right about the piggy back having some knots and pins in it, cause it did ;D. That one will have to be cut down about 18" and have a little character to it, but at least their was that one more stave that didn't get wasted. Will post when I try it again.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 06:34:04 pm »
Cowboy:

One more hint.  As green as your Osage is it would be wise to seal the belly side of the main log after a belly split is removed.
Green Osage will crack from the belly side as well.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 11:08:51 am »
Glad you said that Ridge! I did not know that. I'm working them all down to small (or regular sized)stave's one at a time after work. Thanks.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 02:34:54 pm »

Cowboy, did you take your chicken with you on your tree cutting venture...I didn't see him in the back of the truck? ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 03:18:11 pm »
Greg, ha ;D. Nope, tha chicken herd is getting thin - been warring with dogs and hawks whenever I'm home. Know where I could get a good hound?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 08:28:55 am »
Come on over to Tn. some time, I'm sure you could find yourself a hound here abouts. Pappy has owned several over the years... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...