Author Topic: woods  (Read 4593 times)

Offline butch

woods
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:47:41 pm »
i have some groves of locust ( i think) in this area , 4/6" dia. 20 ft. tall that grow straight with long pods in the fall. does any one know about its use as a bow. also a lot of salt cedar . an invasive pest . is it of any use beside post and rails. thanks, butch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: woods
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:37:16 am »
Sounds like you have honey locust. Does it have thorns(groups of 3) growing from the trunk?  It will make a bow. I have never made a bow from honey locust but others here have.  If nothing else, deer love to eat the pods.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline butch

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 12:54:40 am »
thanks pat . your allways quick to help. i hunted around them several times but the deer are normally in the persimmons . this hundred acres is sandy lowland and closly resembles a jungle. lot of deer  but hard to move in. ill take out a tree this fall if the corp of engineers isnt looking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:07:39 am »
Hunt those bean later in the fall or early winter. They may be sweeter to the deer after they get frosted a few times.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 01:15:09 am »
Salt cedar shoots make a good heavy weight, durable arrow. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 11:05:20 am »
Locust is a good bow wood. Black locust has thorns on the branches. Honey as thorns on trunk and branches. Made lotsa bows from BL but none from HL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 11:11:15 am »
just in curiosity, how long and wide are the pods?

Offline butch

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 11:23:13 am »
dont remember about thorns or pods and the jungle turned to swamp when keystone lake arose from its sleep, i will check the thicket later this week  thanks

Offline snedeker

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 12:10:19 pm »
I wanted to check the possibility that it might be KY Coffee tree - no thorns, pods 6"x1.5" and 5/8" thick, leaves a little pointy

Dave

Offline butch

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 11:12:11 pm »
 i checked my book ,the book of trees by Grimm. and i believe its the honey locust . 3 varieties. all produce diferent pods . thorns vary and are sometimes thornless. described as a tough hard wood good for tools, implements,spokes.furniture and last in contact with ground . fencepost.     seems it should make good bows.  ill let you know by nov.    butch