Author Topic: Gone huntin"  (Read 10758 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Gone huntin"
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:22:37 pm »
Well, as soon as I load the truck and take a shower I'll be on my way. Season starts tomorrow morning. I have a few theories for this season but mostly I will be hunting with "Trouble Maker" a boo backed hickory that was remade into a tri-lam when I added an osage belly lam. This bow(I had it at TOJam) shoots the best for me now so thats why I'm going with her. The arrows I will use with this bow are some cedars I made a few years ago. They are reinforced self nocked with rawhide splines. One arrow has an obsidian point hafted, the others Wensel Woodsmans. These arrows shoot so well out of this bow I can't resist. ;D
I also have a 60" osage self bow with static recurved tips that I built to hunt with this year. I haven't even showed it to ya'll yet. This bow will be my ground blind bow and I will be shooting sourwood arrows with either rhyolite or obsidian points.
 So wish me luck! ;) This will be my 3 year hunting with only bows and arrows I made and hopefully it will be THE year to make meat. ??? ;D  Best of luck to everyone that going hunting. The rest of ya'll will just have to wait til Tuesday to see the pics. ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

Re: Gone huntin"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:54:52 pm »
Go get them mPat, best of luck. I am right behind you.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:16:48 pm »
Best of luck Pat!! My hunt don't start for another three weeks roughly. My we all post pic's of primitive kills this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:58:23 am »
Well I got back a few days early. It was too damn hot!!!  Temps in the 90's and humid. From the time I took a shower until I got dressed I was soaked with sweat. Very little deer movement. Richard did shoot a doe(wheels) Sat evening(pics below). I had a doe fawn below me for 15 minutes but she was very thin and too young for this early in the season. The peas were mostly eaten by the time we got out. We had planted them 2 weekends before and it rained that Sunday after we left so they had the moisture they needed.
  We did get the new shower house begun. The pics show what we did this weekend and what the old shower house looks like.
  Don't know when I'll get back down. For some reason, stuff happens during hunting season that never happens any other time. >:(   Below are a few pics.     Pat

ps. Marie...dove breast wrapped with bacon on the grill! ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:10:27 am »
As long as you had good eats its all good.  You guys need to quit working and start hunting.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:21:33 am »
Here are a few pics of the potential quarry. Note the times on the pics. Time to get the primitive night vision goggles out!  ;D     Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:34:16 am »
pat it takes areal good hunter to let a shot walk by. peace

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 11:53:19 am »
Ya it is hard for me to pass the first of the season if it don't have spots.It is a good day hunting any day you are out but if you have game close enough for a shot ,take it or not it is a great day.Good
looking buck there maybe he will slip up and get to close in the day time.Good food and good friends is always fun.We get to get out after them on the 22nd.I can't wait but like you I can stand the cold but hate the heat. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:03:10 pm »
Justin, One thing we always do is eat good. Unfortunately, that night we ate about midnight. We always send the first deer of the season to the processor for the for the elderly black woman we lease half of out property from. After tracking the deer Richard shot it was 10pm. Generally speaking the processors are open after midnight on opening weekend but not Saturday night :o ???. So after driving to the processor and back and after supper was cooked it was midnight.
  Jamie, I had 5 or 6 opportunities(10 to 12yards) while she was in the food plot. Later in the year I may not hesitate but this early and the fact that she was so poorly I decided to just watch her. She kept looking over her shoulder so I was also hoping her momma was coming in to eat. I very rarely see fawn does alone. Fawn bucks are a different matter.  The does and fawns that were seen were all thin. The few bucks that were seen seemed to be nice and plumb. I guess the drought has a lot to do with it.    Pat

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »
  Sounds like you had a good time Pat,except for the heat.Our season opened down in the southern part of the state Sat also.No thanks,can you imagine the heat and humidity in the Glades this time of year.I'll be up at Cade's the 22nd.Hope to see you there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 07:05:51 pm »
 ....................................Yup heat an humiditry and some rain too sun morning. But theres animals ta hunt too.No thanks huh ?...........bob
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:16:01 pm by Kowechobe »

Tom B

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 07:45:58 pm »
I hope to see both of you guys at cades.And the other parker too.Nice photos Pat and the food is lookin good.Bring some recipes for tree rats and i'll bring an adult beverage. Tom

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 09:22:56 pm »
  HeyBob,If I knew where to hunt there or had an invite from somebody who does,I'd be there in a heart beat. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 12:09:55 am »
We have out of town company that weekend. If that doesn't happen, I'll be at the farm.  ;)
  Tom, I ain't ever cooked skirl before but I'm sure game(no pun intended) to try. ;D  Pat

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 12:55:56 am »
Pat, sounds like a good trip and with game in frront of you to boot. I have never been too much on shooting weanlings either but it still gets your adrenalyn going. Man oh man I could use about a dozen of those dove breast in my lunch box for work tomorrow. I almost had a shot at a fat cow till the wind changed and blew on the back of my neck. Did she ever jump thru her self leaving the area. I did get to take a grouse with the loss of only one arrow, last lear I left three stuck in trees and no grouse to show. Weather here is still warm but not like you had to hunt in.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell