Author Topic: Primitive Bowhunting DVD now available!  (Read 14996 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Primitive Bowhunting DVD now available!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 10:42:11 am »
I had a chance to watch the video a couple times now and like others, I highly recommend it to all outdoors people. Billy did a great job putting this together! It really reminds me of my own journey into primitive hunting.

The rabbit footage/shots were just awesome!
The fox squirrel shot still puzzles me.
The deer hunts were truly great.

For volume II: more knapping, more arrow work, and more knapping >:D

Tracy

Oh, and THANK YOU for not using the hardcore head banging metal music for the video!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:46:45 am by TRACY »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:49 pm »
I too enjoyed this video very much.....I have a question for Billy.  What was the tree that you made the out of?  And also I thought the part with the hornets was very funny.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline billy

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »
HEy Guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback and I'm really glad you guys liked it. 

Tracy-  Putting that cheesy heavy-metal crap music on this DVD was NOT going to happen.  I've watched a lot of high-quality productions by Discovery Channel and BBC that I really liked (Ray Mears, Neil Oliver, and Dual Survival, among others) and I noticed something.....they never, EVER use head-banging music in their work.  And it shows.  Their quality is much better and much more professional than the crap that airs on Outdoor Channel and Pursuit Channel.  So I copied the higher quality TV shows and did my best to NOT do what the hunting shows do.  I look at those hunting shows now and I just roll my eyes because to me they are very amateur, unprofessional, and in my opinion embarrassing.  What's so ridiculous is that EVERYBODY does it!!!  All the hunting shows are the same, the format is the same, they use the same stupid music, and they constantly push their products.  When I see that I go in the opposite direction.  And a lot of my friends can't stand to watch those hunting shows anymore either.  I don't do any flashy graphics, advertise any products, or push any agenda.  I just want to produce something that's entertaining and real without any advertisers pulling my strings and telling me what to do.  So I'm glad you saw that and recognized it. 

James-  I made the bow out of Osage.  I just wanted to show the process of making a bow and not get bogged down in details.  You have to be ruthless sometimes in what you cut and edit because it is very easy to lose your focus and start going down all kinds of rabbit holes.  I wanted to show a brief overview of how the bow is made to give the viewers a glimpse into what goes into making a bow, and then get right back to hunting.  I have plans on making more DVD's that are instructional, and those will be much more detailed and specific.   

Thanks again guys for your questions and feedback....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline jimmy

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 02:39:00 pm »
Looks really cool.  It when have been neat in the second trailer to have an airplane flying and then "morph" into the eagle that was filmed, the whole modern to primitive theme.  Anyway, I think I'll buy it.  Keep up this style of hunting, we owe it to ourselves and brothers living in the woods.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 04:55:27 pm »
Just stumbled across this billy, watched those utubes and think i'll send ya a check. Look forward to seeing you in action.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline billy

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »
HEy Paul,

Got your order today and I have one copy of the DVD packed up and ready to send out tomorrow.  I really think you'll like it!!

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Arrows on the Mission

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:16 am »
Just watched it for the second time Billy, this is an awesome production! Can't wait for number two! Very inspiring!

I love the bow making part, do you always cut your feathers rather than pull them apart? Is it just as good?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 09:15:41 am »
Thanks for the reply Billy.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline billy

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »
HEy Arrows,
Yes, I prefer to split my feathers in half instead of pulling them apart.  You can pull turkey wing feathers apart but the quill that is removed is so thin and weak that I've had the quill break when the arrows are dragged through the brush during the rigors of hunting.  SPlitting the quill and then sanding it down a little bit still retains the inner pith of the quill and more of the main quill, making a much stronger fletch that can withstand the abuse that arrows undergo when hunting.....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »
Great DVD  Billy!  But I now question your common  sense. Throwin rocks at a hornets nest? I hate em too,but thats a fight I don't want.  Hope your next is ready soon!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline billy

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 12:21:47 am »
I haven't heard from Cowboy....I just wanted to get his feedback on the DVD and whether he liked it or not.  Anyone talked to him lately?  Where you at  Cowboy???   ;D   ;D  ;D
Marietta, Georgia

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »
Am still here, haven't figured out this dvd player yet. lol..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 11:55:02 pm »
Billy:  The Wicki family sat down and enjoyed your DVD.  Can't wait for the next one!  Very well done, sir.  Like everything about it.  It also took me a few years for my first bow whitetail.  When I ditched the compound 20 years ago and went straight to my selfbow, my luck changed.   :)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 01:41:41 am »
Will be ordering my copy very soon.Sounds great...

Offline billy

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:18 am »
Glad the Wicki family enjoyed the video.  ANd thanks for your feedback on it.  And as soon as I get your order hunterbob I'll send one out to you..... 
Marietta, Georgia