Author Topic: help tiller problems  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Deo

help tiller problems
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:30:46 am »
I need help before another one of my bows becomes a sacrafice to the gods. One of the limbs is taking way to much set after i unstring the bow, what could i do. I tried taking more wood off towards the tip does not seem to be working. Thank you.

Offline Deo

Re: help tiller problems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:49 am »
here is a couple more pictures

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:40:13 am »
I may not be the best judge of this, but it looks to me like it's bending a great deal in the handle.  If it takes a set there, even a little bit, it will be amplified at the tips translating to massive tip deflection.  Maybe take more wood off mid limb to the tips?  I see you already had that idea so maybe someone else has another idea?

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:43:30 am »
Sorry for the rapid 2nd reply, but I had another idea looking over the pictures.  Does the bow narrow much nearer the tips?  the tips of a bow are under the least strain and you can get away with lots of narrowing.  I think the narrowest I've had the guts to make bow tips was almost down to 1/4" wide for a 55# bow, and for the year or so I had the bow it never had a problem.  Yours looks like it's still quite wide, but that could just be my eyes screwing with me looking at a screen and not the actual bow.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:47:27 am by Rufledt »

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:56:46 am »
It looks to me like there are some serious limb twist issues there.  Other than that, I would agree that there's too much bending going on in the handle.  What I try to do with bendy handle bows is intentionally leave the handle stiff until I'm about 4" from my target draw length.  Then I start to work the handle area to get it moving.  Even so It is very easy to overstress a bow like this in the center.  I'm not sure you'll be able to even out the bend in the limbs before losing more draw weight than you want, especially if you have limb twist due to uneven wood removal.  Still, give it a go and see what you get.  Every bow teaches us something.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:47 am »
Geroge has ya coveredto much bend @ middle and lots of twist, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Deo

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 02:28:46 am »
Thanks a lot for the help. Ya it does taper more towards the tips, I am making an southeastern style d-bow. At this moment the draw weight is not as important as the tiler,  think  will have to tiller it out correctly and cut it short, thier is plenty of bow because it is 67 in

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »
If the wood is dry enough, I would tie the bow to a form/caul/board and heat treat the belly near the handle. Then use long strokes with a scraper.