Author Topic: Made some meat makers  (Read 15322 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Made some meat makers
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 09:37:36 am »
Neat arrows,I'll say one thing for you ,you are about the most resourceful guy I have ever seen
use what you have on hand. :) :) How do they fly with no tips.I have lost tips before and they go everywhere but where you want them to. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline snellp

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 06:09:23 pm »
I might try the fluorescent colored duct tape (orange or pink).  It would make finding my arrows a lot easier. 
Then again, more target practice might help too! :P

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:36 pm »
Neat arrows,I'll say one thing for you ,you are about the most resourceful guy I have ever seen
use what you have on hand. :) :) How do they fly with no tips.I have lost tips before and they go everywhere but where you want them to. ???
   Pappy

Thanks ;D. As far as tips, I just left them a few inches longer than my draw. Seemed to help. Seems that heavier the shaft, the shorter they need to be when left long? If that makes sense :D. Light shafts= really longer, heavy shafts= just a little bit longer. That sums it up :). Helps with the weight aat the bow or somehting (was in some of the back issues of PA, I believe Ken Wee talked about it?)

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:00 am »
i made one and i was suprised how well they flew.  The duct tape flew good and i put a nut on the end
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

basil_brush

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 01:45:05 pm »
quick thinkin". fired hardened tips are very deadly. i was shooting 50 yrds at a tennins ball on a string. there is a plywood panel behind the target. the field tips barely stuck. the fire hardened tips were punching holes through the wood panel. they work

Wow, sounds good. I don't have any experience of fire hardening wood though. What's the technique? What temp and for how long?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 05:15:04 pm »
Take tip, stick in fire till black ;D. Then grind on sandstone/sand paper until you removed the worst of the charred wood- that's it. Works great :).

Offline david w.

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 05:54:31 pm »
i made 7 squirrel arras today. i tipped them with nutters and 38 caliber empties.  withe the 38s i took out the primmer and inserted a nail.

i used ducttape for 6 of them and on 1 i split the shaft and put in a feather they work good should go squirrel hunting soon.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Minuteman

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:45 pm »
Those are goldenrod shafts, Kegan. What did you trade to me?  I can't recall.
 Anyway  if you put the big end in the front it gives you a pretty high forward of center weight which makes for an easily guided arrow. I bet you'd find that they fly pretty good fletchless at short range.
 SOMEBODY SEND THIS FELLER SOME FEATHERS! :o :o ;)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 06:26:16 pm »
Those are goldenrod shafts, Kegan. What did you trade to me?  I can't recall.
 Anyway  if you put the big end in the front it gives you a pretty high forward of center weight which makes for an easily guided arrow. I bet you'd find that they fly pretty good fletchless at short range.
 SOMEBODY SEND THIS FELLER SOME FEATHERS! :o :o ;)

Stingers. And I don't think they're golden rod, I believ you called them orange something or other? Alot harder stuff. Most of the old golden rod arrows are stashed away for hand drills ;D. And I'm finding a few feathers. Our neighboring turkeys are kind enough to give me one or two every week ;).

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 08:34:32 pm »
Hmmmm! How do you keep the duct tape from cutting your hand as you shoot them?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Minuteman

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 12:02:12 pm »
Thats right, they are mock orange. ??? Got a bush here by the house and a huge batch of it at my parents place.
 How tough was it to straighten them?
 You need to find some nearby turkey hunters and get to know them . They usually will give you the wing feathers for the asking. Not that theres anything wrong with duct tape... if yer name is MacGuyver! ;)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 06:30:48 pm »
I really didn't bother much with straightenning. Most were "pretty straight", and the nock and point and nock ligned up, so I figrued to shoot them as is. They work well, even a little crooked. But I don't like the ducctape, Just somehting to put on arrows to keep the ends from flinging forward.

So far in two days I've come across four feathers- both days the two feathers (large, perfect wing) matched, enough for two arrows :). Eoither I'll try to make nice with the turkeys, or if they stay roosted where they are (nice and out in the open) for a month I'll just get some feathers and a nice turkey dinner >:D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 01:26:34 am »
     Ah yes, Duct tape, it's not just for baby sitting anymore......

Stickbender