Author Topic: Primitive pots  (Read 6814 times)

Offline Kegan

Primitive pots
« on: September 07, 2007, 08:13:34 pm »
Got some abo pots done. Dug the clay up with a digging stick and fired the first one (right) with a hand drill started fire. Planning on doing the same for the bigger one. Not the prettiest, but these are my fist attmepts, and they work well :). The small one holds about a cup and a half and the bigger one is about two cups. Glad my first attempts help together ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Primitive pots
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:25:23 pm »
Looks like the perfect thing for mixing up an egg tan.  ;D Keep up the good work. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:54:41 pm »
Looks like the perfect thing for mixing up an egg tan.  ;D Keep up the good work. Justin

I like brains... squishier ;D.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:43:05 pm »
Looks good Kegan! Where are you? My daughter's have been digging up clay down on the Brazos river here for years and making stuff with it, but as soon as it rains, their just a pile of mud (I've never fired any of it for them). Do you know how to take the stuff, put in a bucket of water and turn it into slip, then strain it to get the pure clay?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:58:14 pm »
thats awesome kegan . its the one skill i havent done yet.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:38:11 pm »
Jamie- Thanks ;D. I just found a new vien, so I just had to- cleanest stuff I've seen around 'ere. I was suprised they worked, considering I've heard that primitive firing has a high rate of failure. Guess lettin' it sit by the fire before hand really helped :), the turtle would be really proud :D.

Cowboy- Until fired, it'll always turn into mud (I had two others drying outside get caught in the rain :'(). As for cleaning, if you can't find a clean vien, just go through and pick the big stuff out. The little stuff adds to the temper I guess. John and Geri McPherson's books helped ALOT, especially on the explanation of what the temper is for and how to go about firing (slowly ;D).

jamie

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:09:36 pm »
kegan next time ya do it try it with a pointed bottom. they are awesome for cooking over a fire . you just set them in between 3-4 rocks with coals built up around it. peace

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 05:57:48 pm »
kegan next time ya do it try it with a pointed bottom. they are awesome for cooking over a fire . you just set them in between 3-4 rocks with coals built up around it. peace

That would be so much easier to sculpt too, thanks  :)!!