Author Topic: Crossbow (pics)  (Read 48802 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Crossbow (pics)
« on: September 08, 2007, 10:44:29 am »
Nearly finished my crossbow. The stock is oak, and the bow yew. Hoping to shoot it today ;D

I'll post some more pictures in a while.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:02:41 pm by kviljo »

Offline Dane

Re: Crossbow (1 pic)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:06:09 am »
Very, very nice early crossbow! You do great work. I hope you get some shots of it in action, and some specs.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Kviljo

Re: Crossbow (1 pic)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:35:17 pm »
Puhh, just managed to string it! Holy crap that was a days workout! :D

I'll leave it strung like this for some hours, so the string can adjust itself, before I finish it. Looks like I got the stringheight spot on, on the first try. Luckily.

It is based on a Swedish crossbow which perhaps is from 1525, although this type has probably been used for many centurys in many places.

Now, I'll just have to make some bolts 8)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Crossbow (pics)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:31:22 pm »
That is cool.  Are you going to serve the string with something a little more resistant to wear, or with the same material?  What is the draw weight?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:42:51 pm »
I'll let it settle in a little more, then I'll serve the linnen string with some more linnen, and wax it heavily at the center. I'm not too sure about the bow, because it seems quite heavy, and it's a bit hard to tiller such a short and slightly snaky bow. But I'll let you know the draw weight at its 12,5" drawlenght tonight, if it survives the fulldraw (which I should have tested before I tied it to the stock, hehe)  :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:20:51 pm »
Did you happen to take any pictures of the process of tying the bow to the stock or building the action.  I am really fascinated with the whole process, and want to build an all natural crossbow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 03:43:28 pm »
Nope :-[
But there is no magic to it. Just start, and you'll figure out how along the way :)

Check Josef Alm 1947, Europeiska armborst (European crossbow) or the new english translation of it.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 06:32:01 pm »
very cool. always wondered how the trigger mechanism worked. i think i get it by the pics. peace

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 06:59:38 pm »
Very cool.  The craftsmanship is fantastic.

Mark

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 08:03:58 pm »

It's 90#, a little less than I thought, but it has much sapwood. Shot it once now, and it worked great. Scary little thing ;D

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 08:18:58 pm »
I bet it is a little scary. What sort of distance or speed can you get with it?

Mark

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 09:07:23 pm »
I started making it friday afternoon, so I haven't had the time to test it thoroughly yet. Hoping to try it out tomorrow if the weather is good. Looking forward to that! I'll have to make a flightarrow for it, hehe.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 09:41:55 pm »
wait, wait, so the string hops out of nthe groove and then toucjhes the arrow to shoot it?  no knocks ???  that scares the crap out of me, but it looks like you did quite well very neat.  i think if i made one the string would come up, slide under the arrow and it would somehow dry fire or shoot me in the face. ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 10:14:59 pm »
That is awesome. I didnt like crossbows  until I saw this post. I never saw a primitive crossbow before. Well done. I will attempt it some day. May I ask how you came up with the design?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 10:24:16 pm »
That's right, no nocks. All medieval crossbowbolts lack nocks for the string. I have been told by a friend that these may flip the bolt around and hit the archer in the face if the string hits the bolt too low. So I'm going to be cautios ;)

I found a drawing of an artifact - a 15 c. Swedish original, and basically copyed that. :)