Author Topic: Welsh rowan warbow 110 @ 30"  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Welsh rowan warbow 110 @ 30"
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:57:07 pm »
I thought I’d post this bow because I wondered whether anyone's had had any experience with rowan or mountain ash (sorbus aucuparia) as a warbow wood.  It’s not related to ash but the leaves have a cursory resemblance to each another.  This was the first bow I’ve made from this wood so I made it with a Mary Rose type section of the deeper type as a reference, against my better judgment, and was surprised with the results.  The bow’s belly was heat-treated but not malmed or resin impregnated and no reflex was introduced.  The stave already had an elegant natural recurve on one limb.  The stave was seasoned with the bark off for 2 months in a shed and 6 in an unheated indoor room and the stave was cut in the late Autumn last year.  I did seal the back and ends with beeswax but it had no drying checks anywhere.  The wood's a joy to work and peels off like cheddar cheese on a grater.  At 25” it refused to take any set whatsoever and didn’t at 30” but did crysle on every single minor pin.  Despite taking Ascham’s advice about pricking out either side of the ‘freet’ these propagated to the point that I’ve retired the bow after less than 50 shots.  I’m intrigued because, with the correct section, I think the wood has potential for a warbow as it’s quite fast.     

This is the stave with the natural reflex.  Wouldn’t it be nice if they grew like this with at both ends 78” apart.  That would be a good use of genetically modified plants!

This is the bows x section at the arrow pass.  As you can see, it was from quite a small diameter stave but none of the bow has any pith line in it, just. The belly is at the top.

Even after the bow was shot it went back to the position in the stave, more or less.

The bow was quite simple to tiller, once it was braced that is, as the reflex made it tricky.   

This is a close-up of the recurved limb with horn sidenocks fitted and a hemp string.  The bow was finished with boiled linseed oil and a bees wax/turpentine rubbing paste.   

The same limb braced.  The tips were just under 1/2" in diameter at the base of the horn.

This gives you the idea of the section down the bow, roughly the same as the arrowpass.

This is my good friend Al drawing up a Mary Rose livery (meaning military issue) pattern arrow at our recent Warbow Wales shoot.  The tiller is full compass and the recurve is apparent.  I chose to place it on the lower limb because of the advice of French medieval manuscript, Lartdarcherie.  The bow was nice and fast which was pleasing.  I think the dramatic sky behind is beautiful.
That's the good news.  This is the bad...

Even though the back was slightly raised on the other side of this pin it still couldn't take the compression.

Even on the side of the bow the wood's struggled to cope. 
Notes to self about rowan as a bow wood...
1. Only use a very clean stave
2. Go for a flatter and wider section next time like that of the Mary Rose bow in Cardiff Museum.

mikekeswick

Re: Welsh rowan warbow 110 @ 30"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »
Very interesting bow.
What is the width at the arrowpass. It's a bit hard to tell from the ruler.
And where did you get your profile gauge from? I've been trying to find one!
I've found hazel to be similar in the way it chyrsals at pin knots on heavy bows.

Online ksnow

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:41 pm »
That bow is gorgeous, too bad about the damage, better luck on the next one.

Kyle Snow

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:58:49 am »
Beautiful Bow Indeed.
Sorry for the Damage.

Been looking for some Rowan - Mountain Ash, states side, to try a flat bow.
Unfortunately I live where it does not, and have not been able to find any for trade...

I wish you Better Luck with your next attempt!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:46:29 am »
And where did you get your profile gauge from? I've been trying to find one!

You could use one or two tile profile gauges.  You can get them from Wickes or Screwfix.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:16:16 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
Mike,
The contour gauge was from a Poundland type of shop.  I was buying a job lot of flags for our roving marks and spotted them.  The total cost was under a Fiver.  I'm sure a tile one would work well enough, as well.  However, these seem to do the trick, bar of the odd shedding of a needle now and again.
Some more info/dimensions about the bow, string and arrow used is here on this link along with the distances shot.
http://warbowwales.com/#/achievements/4557945404
Gus,
I bet it'd work very well for a flat bow and you'd be please with the arrow speed and how easy it is to work.  If you can persevere and get a stave try really hard to avoid and knots in the layout.  The distribution of the tree is really widespread but I imagine that it will be similar across the pond.  It seems very strong in tension if the very crowned back would indicate so even a small diameter stave should do.  I admit, it was tempting to ‘rebalance’ the stave with an induced recurve the other end.
I bet it'd work very well for a flat bow and you'd be please with the arrow speed and how easy it is to work.  If you can persevere and get a stave try really hard to avoid and knots in the layout.  The distribution of the tree is really widespread but I imagine that it will be similar across the pond.  It seems very strong in tension if the very crowned back would indicate so even a small diameter stave should do.  I admit, it was tempting to ‘rebalance’ the stave with an induced recurve the other end.  A flat bow may have taken the extra strain.

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:13 pm »
Rowan is another underestimated tree when it comes to bows. I use to make rowan bows from small diameter trees, to get a crowned back. I also use a more flat belly profile than what I use for yew or wytch elm, but I still round it off just enough to make it good to hold. If I make a light bow, 90# or less, I use dry heat for the belly without malming it. For bows heavier than that I spend more time heating and malming it the heavier it is. I also make them longer the heavier they get.

If you look for rowan in a wet area, you'lll probably find rowan with lots of heartwood. It has a really good looking chocolate-brown colour.

Rowan trees do like to twist and turn a lot, so many rowan trees are more suited for propelles than bows though..

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:50:20 pm »
And by the way, your bow looked great! Too bad it got those damages..

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »
That was a grand photo with the dramatic sky behing the shooter.  Sorry to see the bow developed a "freet".  Tough break, better luck with the next one!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:27:19 am »
Nidrinr,
Thanks for that advice.  I'll give the wood another go when a stave presents itself with the guidelines you suggest in mind. A crowned with back and flatter belly - plenty of heartwood if available - plenty of heating!  I'll make it wider without worrying about the back in tension from a small stave.

Cheers,
Jeremy