Author Topic: abo with jasper and agate  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Blacktail

abo with jasper and agate
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:54 am »
i was wondering if any one works with abo tools and jasper or agate....i want to start using abo tools but i love working jasper and agate with copper ...so,do you think it would be good to start out with jasper OR should i start out with obsidian to get into the swing of it...john

Offline Tower

Re: abo with jasper and agate
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:38:48 am »
I began this addiction abo. Started making pretty good points , but switching to copper took a little work. Now I'm trying abo again & its not as hard a transition as I thought. I broke the fisrt 6 preforms before I began to thin well. I'd say save the primo material,but give it a whirle.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:05:06 am »
I work both Agates and jaspers all abo. as long as they are heat treated i think they break just as well as any texas chert.  I like the hard stones, but obsidian is easier for sure
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:56 pm »
Jasper, uncooked, works OK with abo tools but uncooked agate has always eaten my tools faster than I can replace them.  I would definitely heat treat both materials before using abo tools... to minumize the frustration.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr