Author Topic: !!!! BEES  (Read 7058 times)

brokennock

!!!! BEES
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:11:11 am »
Have a laugh on me. Season here starts this coming saturday. I went out today to put a stand in a spot I've been checkin out a bit for a couple seasons. I have been wanting to use a tree that forks into 3 trunks about 2 and 1/2 feet up. I went to put one of those little platform stands made to sit in the fork of a tree.
 Oh, by the way its 80 sumtin degrees and HUMID.
 I digress, sorry. Anyway, I head for the tree stand, brand new climbin sticks, and limb snipper in hands. Cross stream, got to tree, put stuff down, lean 1st section of stick ladder against tree, and secure it.  Sounds good so far right.  Well, as I reached for the next section I had to swat away a yellow jacket. Then another and then 4 more. They now have a nest in the fork of that tree.
 I abandoned the scene. When I came back 10 min. later, as soon as i got within 15' a bee buzzed me. I backed of a little and could see a cloud of yellow jackets swarming my abandoned gear. This is all around 1730 to 1800 hours.
 My brother and I made a 2300 dark of night commando mission to retrieve the gear.
  Sorry that took so long, Hope ya had a laugh.
        Dave

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: !!!! BEES
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:21:04 am »
When you are retrieving equipment from a hornets nest, don't go commando.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:06:45 am »
I'm with justin ;D ;D Had the same thing happen a couple of years ago only they were in the ground right beside the tree ,didn't find them or should I say they found me when I came out.
It was very exciteing for a short time,glad no one got it on film. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 02:16:35 pm »
I gotta chime in on this one. 2 weeks ago I was way up in a tree straped in with my lanyard. I was cutting it down for work and after the first cut bees came pouring out of a nest I didnt see. I still had my saw running and had to lower it down then tie the rope better so I could lower myself down all while getting repeatedly stung in the head and face. I ended up in the E.R. because my lips were so big I couldnt talk. A shot of epinephrin a shot of benadryl and a steroid injection followed by a week of steroids. I was not a happy camper. I wish I had a picture lol :D My lips were HUUUUUUUUGE  :D now I see a bee and Im like a little girl. ;D
                                                                                                            Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:34:30 pm »
I had a similar thing happen but with Fire Ants.I had set my lock-on stand using climbing spikes.After I got settled in,still dark,I started getting bites on my legs.I turned my light on and I had ants all over my stand and the trunk of the tree all the way to the ground was alive and moving.I unhooked my stand and dropped it away from the base of the tree and jumped with my hooks on the 12' to the ground.I check the base of the tree now. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 01:07:34 am »
About four years ago I was packing out from an elk hunt with a good partner of mine. I was leading a pack horse and Milt was riding the other horse which stepped into a hornets nest. I think Milt must have gotten stung twenty times and the horse about 100+, I diddent know which was going to die from stings first but they both survived.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

brokennock

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:57 am »
Thanks for the support guys. And Justin, I went commando thinkin the swelling from the stings would help....... Oh never mind.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 07:46:03 pm »
dave my son was 3 or 4 and i took him to cut down a 4 inch hickory. at the base was a ground nest. one bit my arm and i realised what was happening. i turned to grab aidan and he was just standing there with tears running down his eyes and a silent scream. my heart broke. that was my absolute worst day in the woods.  :(