Author Topic: Osage vs Yew  (Read 14562 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Osage vs Yew
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 01:22:18 pm »
This is fantastic. Can't wait to see the finished products. With the yew bow it looks like the tiller is stiff in the outer limbs where the profile looks like it would take more bend. Is that because it's yew or will you be narrowing the outer limbs to keep mass down? I may be off since I'm viewing the pics on my phone. Thanks for sharing these projects!

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 02:04:05 pm »
    Ryoon, outer limbs are stiff on purpose but I will get them to flex just slightly when I finish narrowing the outer limbs. I think I am going to submit the win to the osage bow before testing and limit the yew bow to 26" draw @80# and use it as a light arrow flight bow instead of a broadhead bow. I may go ahead and test them both @ 26" just for the heck of it.
     This has probably been my favorite build I have ever done. Both staves acted like top athletes all the way through, I kept thinking of Muhammed Ali and Joe frazier as I worked on them. Neither bow showed any sign of letting up or the faintest sign of breaking down. I felt more like a referee than a bow builder. I am feeling now like the yew bow has given all it can safely give and I don't want to break it.  I will probably go ahead and heat treat the inner limb as I did the outer limb and slightly reflex it to maybe 1 1/2" then let the weight settle in below 80# @ 26".
      The intensity of a build like this is really exhilerating, too intense for everday but nice once in a while.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »
I think I am going to submit the win to the osage bow before testing and limit the yew bow to 26" draw @80# and use it as a light arrow flight bow instead of a broadhead bow. I may go ahead and test them both @ 26" just for the heck of it.

DOWN GOES FRAZIER, DOWN GOES FRAZIER!
nice thread Steve. I was pulling for the yew but at least I didnt lose money in Vegas.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 02:50:05 pm »
Better safe than sorry with that big knot though the belly of the Yew.
Gotta put 'em both through the chrono at a similar weight/draw/arrow else I don't pay up ;)
Del
(I think the current echange rate is 1 quatloo to 0.001 cent O:) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »
Here is one of the knots on the back of the yew bow, right in the main working area of the limb, if it were not for that knot I wouldn't have hesitated to stretch it out a bit more.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »
Where did you get the yew Steve?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 04:36:11 pm »
  Brian, Tim Baker had cut this about 15 years ao in Northern Ca. about 40 rings per inch.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 02:29:22 pm »
  Well, the yew bow complained I pulled him out too soon and wanted to go back into trasining for a rematch. Going to give him a couple of inches reflex and lower his weight to 75# and go for the 28" draw. He will be a light heavy weight fighting a heavyweight, I always root for the underdog

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »
That's a great style for Yew, what's the cross section like, flattish oval, or is the belly dead flat?
Don't forget a wipe with the magic sponge before he gets back into the ring.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »
Del, the heat on Yew has dramatic effects, even more so than osage and the white woods, feels like I will need to take off quite a bit of wood, going to tiller this time with outer limbs working more and narrow them down quite a bit. I have a feeling the yew even at 12# lighter will give the osage a run for its money. I do suspect the osage will come out on top but not sure.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 07:05:14 pm »
We all secretly pulled for Buster Douglas to whoop Mike Tyson...  ;)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »
Here is a list of my 2012 flight team, as I finish the projects I check them off. I got a hole bunch almost finished.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 10:39:33 am »
Steve
Does the Yew have a flat belly or did you go with a shallow D?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:21 am »
Mark the belly is just very slightly rounded, the back is crowned as the branch of trunk it came from was barely 2". Good wood just very small. Has developed a couple of longtitudal cracks near the knots, I am not too worried about them at this point, no sign of splinters lifting.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 02:18:49 pm »
I really don't see a loser in this. Looks like a win win to me.