Author Topic: Passing it on!  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Passing it on!
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:05:11 am »
Am scheduled to do a knapping sesson with 24 teenagers for part of a hunting based program the Game & Fish is putting on at the Painted Rocks State Park on the 21st.  Will have three classes with eight or nine boys for an hour each.  That is such a short amount of time so am planning on using obsidian slabs just to let them try to make a flake!  The G & F will provide eye protection, gloves, etc. and I will supply the rest.  My old knapping buddy, Ed Neel, of Yakama, Wa. is going to try to help me with the obsidian as I don't have enough for that many kids.  Am going to give each of them a kit to take home with an Ishi stick, flaker, hand pad, and hopefully some stone.  The local area head game warden is a knapper and he will help me!  Am told there is no cell phone foot print at the site so maybe they will learn something else to do with their thumbs.  Nothing is ever easy so am having company from Oklahoma at the same time.  Folks from my dad's side I have never met! Have been told that my G & F friend is changing the wording on legal points to hunt big game with to include stone materials.  Guess I will be legal again.  Wish me luck!  Have done this kind a thing many times before, just with not so many kids. Recon some of them will bleed?  Any sugestions?  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline TRACY

Re: Passing it on!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:46 am »
Bandaids ;D sounds like a great thing Joe! Take some pics for us

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:46:55 am »
Good for you Joe,and yes with obsidian it is almost a guarantee some ,if not most will bleed.  :) :) We have done a lot of that with bows and the challenge is to keep most interested for over 15 minutes.Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:57:37 am »
Cool Deal there.  Take some pics. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:56:20 am »
Good luck Joe! I'm sure it'll be a bloody success ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.