Author Topic: High heat and locating deer  (Read 3187 times)

Offline iowabow

High heat and locating deer
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:47:18 am »
I know! why would you want locate deer in the summer? You might want to see what those big deer are doing! I have been arrowhead hunting during the high heat here in Iowa and learned something I did not know. In the V of small creek that are about 30 inches wide i have been jumping bedded deer. The small amount of water and the cool earth are providing releif from the midday heat.  I have found a number of spots and thought I might drop  a trail cam so get s few shoots
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:54:12 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: High heat and locating deer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
I like to locate them in summer, they will still be there when our bow hunt starts. And anything you learn about finding them in summer will help because it will still be in the 90s here when the hunt starts. WATER WATER WATER is the name of the game.
Now lets see some pictures!
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:06:36 pm »
Yep, the creeks and rivers are where they are in this hot box.....  I canoe down a little river and do a lot of catfishing and bowfishing to get through the summer.  Deer are clinging to the riverbottoms and grazing the banks... I was bowfishing the other day with a doe blowing at me, from fifty yards away....basically cussing me out in deer language. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »
My friend cody and I went out and set deer camera up. Tomorrow should be a record high heat day so we should have deer on camera. It felt like 75 degrees inside the creek and it's about 90 degrees outside today.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:56:49 pm »
This is going to be good and really cool so stay posted to this site for some amazing hot weather muddy deer pictures. I put this camera 4  feet away so you will be up close on these are guys.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:12:26 am »
Ok i cant say it enough but this is going to be cool because you see conditions have to be just right. High heat and an almost dry creek. We are going to get rain on friday afternoon so if we dont get pictures by then I have to pull the camera till the water comes down and the deer come back. The camera is on the side of the bank so the deer cant see it coming into the spot. But this means that the lens will be covered with mud after a rain. I think friday afternoon I will pull it and check it for images. So check back back then.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:40:52 pm »
Ok it is hot in iowa. Should deer in the creeks

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
John, that's 9 degrees hotter than Dallas today.  Yikes.  First non 3-digit day here in a week.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:39:00 pm »
I have to admit I am afraid to put out my trailcams. We are having temps like yours and havent had rain in 73 days. Fires are popping up everywhere and last time my cameras got torched beyond recognition.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »
The heat gets here tomorrow. Only 97* today.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »
Wow it worked! We have deer but it bedded just past the cam. Wow the time stamp on one shows that the deer came back less than an hour after i ran it out!. I cant get sd card into phone so i will screen shot them.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »
 :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »
 they were entering this area at around 1&2pm that is about the hottest part of the day. I dont know if deer sweat but this one is nice and cool even though the camera is steaming up