Author Topic: What is too much reflex??  (Read 17269 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: What is too much reflex??
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:31 pm »
Though there may be such a thing, I have never had a stave with "too much" natural back set.  I have broken bows from some that were too over strained, and come in under weight on others.  But I dig the challenge.  I've got to agree with PEARL DRUMS....Loves me some natural back set!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:59:39 pm »
I have finally got to the the point where I can talk about this stave.  I started with dry heating the limbs and balancing them to 3 1/2" of back set (reflex) on both limbs.  Had a hick of a time getting it to brace on the tillering tree,  but once there,  things went well.  Took my time tillering one inch at a time.  And ended up cutting 2" off each end and turning up the tips a bit.  Final stats - 66" ntn with 3 1/2" reflex 56# @ 28".  Got about 200 arrows through it.  And my wife says " it's quick" She has seen me shoot a lot of arrows in the back yard.  It is smooth to pull and no hand shock.  1 1/2" at the fades and 3/8" at the tips.  With zebra and walnut tip overlays.  Ended up backing it with a blue linen cloth due to the tight rings.  Did a little paint job on the limbs with some silver paint.  Also added a light colored leather grip that I quilted it with some black B50 thread.  The finished is drying now, I'll post some pictures tomorrow night.

Badger, gastonberg, pearl, del, dwardo, Thanks for all your comments,  it would not have ended up this good with out your your help!!!
Thanks again,  pics tomorrow night.
Pasting it on is the thing to do ....Get the kids involved!!!!!
Thanks,
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:23 pm »
Reflex =  And my wife says " it's quick" She has seen me shoot a lot of arrows in the back yard.   

Cool beans there
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 11:51:53 pm »
Had a hick of a time getting it to brace on the tillering tree,  but once there,  things went well. 

I had an epiphany recently battling with a 3 1/2" reflexed osage stave myself. What helped me to get it ready for brace is using a big mirror set on the ground in front of me leaning up against a wall longwise, as I pulled the bow on a long string by stepping on the string and pulling up at the handle while watching the tiller in the mirror. I tillered it so well on the longstring this way that I was able to go straight from longstring to brace to fulldraw without any other tillering or tiller adjustments needed. And no it was not whip tillered,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
Here are the pic's

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
Here is a few more............
Please comment on the money shot (full draw)

Offline okie64

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »
That turned out very nice! Love the grip and artwork. Tiller looks like the top limb might be a tad stiff, not bad though.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 09:42:14 pm »
Really nice piece of work, DB. A really unique look and nice bend!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
Fine bow and that reflex makes my mouth water.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline xin

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »
Beautiful bow and excellent craftsmanship.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 06:00:15 am »
That is a stunner! tiller, finish everything.

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 06:38:44 am »
That is a stunning bow.  Brilliant job!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:38 pm »
That turned out fine!  Great work.  interesting thread - lot's of good discussion. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »
So what is your answer to the question you asked at the start......."What is too much reflex??"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 06:25:42 pm »
And by the way...................you could and SHOULD win BOM with it. Its a perfect bow.