Author Topic: What is too much reflex??  (Read 17306 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

What is too much reflex??
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:41 pm »
Had an osage stave with a lot of natural reflex.  But the reflex is not the same on both sides of the roughed out bow.  What should I do? Remove some or add some reflex to make the limbs equal, nothing at all an start tillering?  The left side has about 6 1/2" and the right has about 3" of natural reflex.  The stave ended up on the narrow side.  It is 1 1/2" wide 71" long.  Think of making a long bow pulling about 60# at 28". The rings are very tight at about 18 - 20 rpi.  I've got some thin rawhide or some linen cloth to back it with.  One more question if I decide to back it when do I add the backing,  after floor tillering?

Comments are very much welcome.
Thanks
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SA

Re: What is too much reflex??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:39:40 pm »
oh man that looks fun ;) i had one like that and just tillered it like it was turned out fine(tricky though) , but looking back it would have been a bit easier to work if i would have taken some reflex out of one of the limbs(i have another just like it thats probably what i'll do). yours also looks to have more reflex than the one i had .
 as far as adding backing i add mine when i get it to the short string most of the time, sometimes after the bow is tillered.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:45:12 pm by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:56 pm »
You're gonna have fun wrestling a string on that one, I would probably tiller it as is for a little while and see how it goes before I got the heat gun after it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »
1 1/2 " is plenty for an osage bow. What I'd do is put it on a form that would give an even 3" to 4" of reflex in both limbs and take out the side to side bend and any twist that might be in the stave. This way you will have a stave that will be easier to tiller and to hit weight. If you have not cut the back profile yet I'd do the corrections before doing that. That way you will still have plenty of limb and tip width for minor adjustments later. After you have done the corrections and cut the back profile would be a good time to add the rawhide (or linen) backing. either will work well to prevent splinters. I use rawhide backing on most thin ringed bows and especially if there are any knots ot pins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
No such thing as too much. I would LOVE to get my grippers on a naturally reflexed stave as such.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »
Pat B,
I think..... I met you friday at the Tennessee Classic this year......but i'm not for sure, were you there?  I've got a caul with about 3" of reflex that I could use.  But, What do you mean by " cut the back profile"?  I'm leaning towards rawhide, but there is only a pin knot or two in the whole bow.

Pearl,
I have read most of your posts and really appreciate your comments, but what would you do with this stave???

Okie64,
Your right stringing, even on a long string could be an issue.

Again I'm a nooby to this stuff, but can't get enough info.
Any comments is apprerciated,
DB

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »
Badger,
After reading all of your posts................I would appreciate your comments..

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:13:00 pm »
SA..............
So you would take the reflex down.  how much?  would you use rawhide or linen?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:43:46 pm »
I here what everyone is saying ,   but is there a point where too much natural reflex is not good?
DB

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:09:10 am »
I'm late to this thread, but I like to have even reflex and never more than a couple inches.  I'm sure more reflex could make a higher performance bow, but I find it too easy to miss draw weight, put in early set, or break the bow trying to string it the first time.  I also dislike differing reflex or deflex coming off the fades.  If I had a form like PatB that would be perfect.  Since I don't, I'd take that reflex out of the left limb about 4-5" off the fade so the inner third of the limbs are identical.  If that makes the left limb have too little reflex to match the right I'd heat in additional reflex in the outer third of that limb.

Looks like a pretty stave, should make a great bow.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:41:15 am »
One problem with too much reflex,IMO, is that you end up over stressing the bow just trying to get it to brace...and it can be dangerous.  I personally don't like working with too much reflex. 4" is about all I will put in a selfbow and I usually end up with 1" to 2" of reflex in the rested, unbraced bow.
  For a bow 60#@28" you could easily reduce the stave from 71" down to 66" and still be safe at
1 1/2" wide.
  By back profile I'm talking about the shape of the limb looking at the back. For a 66" bow you could start with 1 1/2" at the fades and out 6" then taper to 1/2" tips for now(reduce later).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29:54 am »
Surely the simple answer is:-
That which is beyond the capability of the length of stave/wood/design of bow.
E.G. It will be pulled out duning tillering to the deisred draw length weight.

I'm in the process of making a European Hornbeam bow from a V reflexed, assymetric wobbly stave, and the 4" of natural reflex all pulled out during tillering.
And as one of the guys said, the early set and extensive tillering required to even get to brace made it very easy to come in under weight.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:58 am »

Pearl,
I have read most of your posts and really appreciate your comments, but what would you do with this stave???

Take your time and tiller carefully and I believe you would be fine. Most of my flatbows start with that much if I can help it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:26 am »
I have an elm thats similar. I think i started with about 4 inches of reflex and lot a lof of it quite quickly, more so that i would have with a flatter bow. No idea if that was my fault but i had read that a lot of natural reflex pulls out quite readily.
Think i still have about 2.5 inches left and its nearly there and just have to move the string over a little as i dont like a center shot type.
I found it was hard to keep the bend even and not just mid limb so watch out for that. Also seems to lend its self to a bit of twist if not carefull too.
Also remember that with a lot of reflex it can seem very heavy at brace which can throw you off. Oh and a bugger to brace, my sides are still hurting.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:34 am »
To add to what Del said...it is also according to what the bowyer can handle. Now, given a stave with natural reflex I'd even it off and go for it, if you can. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!