Author Topic: Bamboo Hex-Shafts  (Read 22045 times)

Offline IONIAN

Bamboo Hex-Shafts
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:51:24 pm »
   Guys, I have wanted to make some shafts from bamboo flooring for a long time. After reading all I could on making bamboo flyrods, I thought I would try it out. Here is the result.

These are a couple from the dozen I glued up. They are 3/8 X 32 X 900 grains. They will be turned  down to arrow size later on. Check out them power fibers!
"aim small, miss small"

jamie

Re: Bamboo Hex-Shafts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:11:15 pm »
howd they spine. and howd ya put em together :o

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:56:36 pm »
  Jamie, I never pay much attention to spine. Instead I use a severe taper from 23/64 down to 5/16 at the nock end. I do keep the shafts within 5 grains of each other and it seems to work well. They go together like bamboo flyrods, cut the strips at 60 degrees, glue and bind. I am working on an article for the magazine that will cover all the details.
"aim small, miss small"

jamie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:23:58 pm »
cool

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »
Sounds like a great article, I cant wait.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:36:22 pm »
   I like them.I bet they are tough too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline heavybow

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:22 am »
Nice shafts alot of work. Dis you get some that are very stiff? Say 100# plus marlon

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 03:48:14 am »
Hi,  I like the idea, and will eagerly await the article!  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:03:44 am »
More nice arrow work, Nick ;). Any idea what a finished arrow will weigh?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:00:43 pm »
  Thanks for the compliments guys, they are a ton of work.

Pat, i'm thinking I can get them down to less then 700 grains with a 125 grain broadhead.
"aim small, miss small"

perry

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 06:27:52 pm »
   Might be a ton of work , but Oh so satisfying - wonderfull . regards Perry

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 06:58:27 pm »
nice shafts. have you made a flyrod yet?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 08:46:20 pm »
Very nice. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:37:12 am »
  Here is the bakers dozen guys.

They are being prepared for splined self-nocks and later will be tapered down to arrow size.
"aim small, miss small"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 01:14:06 am »
     Bingo!!!!  Thanks Hillbilly, that is exactly what I was talking about!  I wonder how they would be with a taper?  Ionian, those are what I have been thinking about doing for quite some time, but never had the material, or work area, and tools to do it.  So you just used bamboo flooring huh? Cool!  I was just asking in the article on Sasafras bows, if anyone had ever made arrows, using bamboo, and cutting triangular strips, and gluing them together like the bamboo fly rods.  Oh, yeah, seek, and ye shall find!
Yepher, I too wait with worms on my tongue, (baited breath) to see how they turn out, and any trials and tribulations you may go through.  I will make some when I can get a small band saw, and some room in my garage, before I move to Montana, after I retire, at the end of May.  I have always wondered about bamboo arrows when I saw my first bamboo fly rod, and saw an article on how they were made.  You guys have just made my night!  Now I can go to bed, and sleep, with visions of me sanding a batch of hexogonal shafts, and rounding them .  They would look nice with a nice horn insert, or horn nock with insert.  Man now you have me all fired up.  I have to work tomorrow, and I don't know how much sleep I will get now.  Thanks again, and please, give us the full details on your experience with them.  Take care, and have a Happy. P.S.  OOOOHHH, I just had a flash of me going down to get a box of flooring, and making not only arrows, but a nice bamboo fly rod!  Hah! Who woulda thunk it!

Stickbender.