Author Topic: A new contender for king of bow wood  (Read 22476 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
A new contender for king of bow wood
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »
Now I know the title grabbed your attention.
For years now I've been reading arguments about "The King of Bow Wood"
And it's always between either Yew or Osage Orange. Both VERY excellent materials both in their elastic and compression strength. With some it's hands down Osage Orange. Having recently worked my first few pieces of Osage, and have been using Yew for quite awhile. I have come to my own conclusion that there is one wood that holds both of their strengths in one small thumb thick bush.
Ocean Spray!
Quite a heavy density for something so small .81 where Osage usually sits around .82
It's smooth, fast and stable has the compression strength of Yew and the elasticity of Osage.(some may disagree but these are things I have noticed)
By far my favorite bow wood is ocean spray, with Yew next in line. Just my personal preference. When you can get a 62" #50@28 bow from a 3/4 wide stick I'd say thats pretty good.

Ocean Spray as a new contender for King? I think so. 
But I wanna hear from you fine Bowyer Gentlemen.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: A new contender for king of bow wood
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:02:34 pm »
I need to try yew wood.  I'm using a lot of juniper lately and I like it... a lot!  I would vote for juniper.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »
I only got one piece left and that's for a friends bow or I would give yah that lol but I got some green ocean spray!
Juniper is very eleastic also very good!
But usually, NOT always needs to be backed.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:55 pm »
And it's always between either Yew or Osage Orange. Both VERY excellent materials both in their elastic and compression strength.

I don't know about the best "bow wood", maybe yew might be the best "selfbow wood". For example, osage is great for the working limbs, specifically the inner limbs, but not great for the outer limbs due to high density. If you use osage for the inner limbs, and utilize a lighter wood for the outer limbs, than we might be able to say that osage is the best bow wood when used as the inner working limbs or any bow abnormally compression stressed, and mulberry is a great bow wood when used for siyahs or non working levers because it is very light but strong. (even though mulberry is a good selfbow wood either way, of course.)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »
I gotta agree with you Bryce (although I haven't even worked Osage yet). Ocean Spray amazes me every time I work a piece of it. Specially when a piece comes in out a little light then you heat treat it and BANG gains 20 lbs. Course only us Northwesterners are familiar with it. I'm sending my Bow trade guy an additional little stick bow of it with my main entry (he's not from here) just to spread the word about our Northwest King Bow wood. It's 48" long - 1" wide and pulls 48lbs at 24" and it was a standing dead piece that was already seasoned and check split when I cut it. I got lots more where that one came from. Any of you Osage guys want to trade me stick for stick sometime so we can compare we can work out a deal. I would never pay the huge prices I see Osage going for when I have a sea of Ocean Spray practically outside my door.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26:09 pm »
Randman I hear yah! I just sent some to Florida to twistedlimb a man who's worked many a wood. I'm excited to hear his response.

20LBS!!!!!!! You must know what your doing I can only get around 10 or 12

I was out in the shed earlier and I folded a piece literally in half and it did not break then it just sprung back like nothing happend.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:45 pm »
Bryce, "Ocean Spray as a new contender for King? I think so. 
But I wanna hear from you fine Bowyer Gentlemen."

Since you asked. There is no better all around wood than osage for me. Some woods are better at this and that, but the truth is osage is a serve all- utility wood that does anything any other wood will do. I made a list of woods I have used at least once. These are the woods I used to formed my opinion. 

The King
Black Locust
White Ash
Hackberry
HHB
Elm
Hickory
Maple
Red Oak
And very shortly yew
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »
I know I just wish that ocean spray grew bigger
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »
Haven't used ocean spray or yew but I'm starting to love juniper
I like free stuff.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »
So many great bow wood, but I always gotta figure Osage rules when it comes to wear and tear.  Doesn't "ding" like other woods as badly in the field.
1’—>1’

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »
In the pacific northwest.....I highly disagree! Sorry, Vine maple is so plentiful, tough, easy to locate, I CAN'T EVEN COMPARE THE TWO WOODS. (Ocean spray) Other than that I would choose Osage over Yew....except for the ease of working Yew....But that IS the reason yew is behind osage...it is NOT as tough.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »
Vinemaplebows I love vine maple as well but finding a straight piece is difficult, not impossible. It has GREAT tensile strength and is quick on the draw. But as far as performance ocean spray would out perform in speed and durability.
As far as availability ocean spray is just as Plentiful. And grows relatively straight.
I was I die hard Vinemaple fan didn't even want to give ocean spray a chance but I did and was very surprised.
But love what you love! Vinemaple is great!

Has anyone seen that awesome Strunk ocean spray bow?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:09 am »
ERC (Juniper) would get my vote.  But finding a good piece is like finding hen's teeth.

Offline randman

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:24 am »
Yeah I'm a big Vine Maple fan too. It's much easier than Ocean Spray to season for sure. But if you take a same size stick of Ocean Spray and Vine Maple - say 1" dia. - the Ocean Spray is going to win out for sure for weight and performance. JMHO
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 03:26:49 am »
Randman where you located?
Clatskanie, Oregon