Author Topic: 59" Yew Deflex-Recurve  (Read 13842 times)

blackhawk

59" Yew Deflex-Recurve
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »
Hello all....heres a yew limb that wasnt even 1 1/2" in diameter from the yew I harvested a little over a year now. It was naturally deflexed with kinks,a little twist,and lots of knots and little branches sticking out of it. I bent recurves into it second guessing myself. But now im thanking myself I did. Due to the character in the deflexed limbs i wasnt able to really put any reflex in it(too risky),but I did have to correct some of that twist so the string lined up on the recurves. So the deflex basically stayed and i just tillered it out starting with 1 3/4"  of setback,and ended up with the tips being dead even with the handle when first unstrung,and it bounces back to a half inch plus setback after rest. I never used a tiller tree or scale so i dont know the weight,but it feels like its pushing close to 70 pounds at 24". The belly wood is actually the other side of the pith,and only a few inches of the pith showed its self at the ends of only one limb....crazy cool huh? I love yew,its so smooooooooooooth. This is my 2nd yew bow.

59" ntn...1 3/8" wide at fades...15 ounces mass weight...sorry for all the pics,and sorry i didnt get it out to full draw in my full draw pics...the last four pics are brace from both ways ,and it drawn from both sides...i got a lil carried away,and i still just couldnt capture the raw pure beauty of this lil limbo

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:05:38 pm by blackhawk »

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Re: 59" Yew Deflex-Recurve
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »
Great job, Chris. That is one sweet recurve. I love the character!!! Bet it spits a arrow...

Jon

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »
  You got a lot of weight out of that bugger. Good Job.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
That is a piece of pure art there. I've never had the chance to work with yew and now you ruined it for me, I don't
want a yew stave anymore, I just want your bow man. Very nice work, love everything about that bow.

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:21:41 pm »
Someone help me please! I can't stop looking at the pictures of this bow, scrolling top to bottom, bottom to top,
help I'm getting dizzy.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:26:03 pm »
Wow Chris, she turned out to be a beauty.  Great job on a little piece of wood.   Will it make it to the woods this fall?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:14 pm »
That's a beauty! You did that yew stick proud Blackhawk.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:45 pm »
thanks jon...youll get to see her in person soon..it looks waaaaay better live  ;)

thanks badger...i was originally gonna shoot for a lil less than 50 pounds with it,but she just acted and felt really good after i strung her up and i just went with it

badly bent......your making me laugh pretty good  :laugh:  thanks man

thanks clint....yes sir...this ones in my hunting options list...length,accurate,smoothness,zero handshock,quiet for a recurve,well harnessed power,and snapshoots really well....this is actually the first recurve that i have been able to shoot well(of any kind)

thanks randman....gotta love yew,ya usually gotta mess it up pretty bad to make it ugly cus its so dang purty

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
Cool beans man. I like the grip and tips on this one. I know I aint man enough to pull it past about 16"!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:22 pm »
first the beard, then the shirt, anything else comes off you're gonna have to stop posting bows ;D
great bent stick hawkman, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:36:07 pm »
first the beard, then the shirt, anything else comes off you're gonna have to stop posting bows ;D
great bent stick hawkman, Bub

I was wondering myself  :embarassed:

You got the best from this one too Chris....  you do some great work :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:23:42 pm »

There you are...showing off again...

Aww, come on guys. Take it easy on him. He probably had to agree to take the shirt off to get the wife to take the pics. You know how you have to compromise when you're married! ;D ;D

That really is a sweet lookin bow, Blackhawk. The color is amazing and those character knots really top it off. Great job, man.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »
Nice bow Hawk, the curved tips are a real testament to your work.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:16:59 pm »
Too cool Blackhawk, love the shots of the belly(yew is sooo good looking). awesome job on that bad boy
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:24 pm »
   And it is all that.I got to touch and hold that one before it was finished.I NEED SOME YEW NOW...HINT HINT...
Great looking bow Chris.