Author Topic: Florida Primitive Hog Hunt: Ryan "Twisted Limbs" Gill and Billy Berger  (Read 13642 times)

Offline Tarponnut

I have the good fortune of hosting two primitive archers next week at my Florida hog property.
Ryan Gill and Billy Berger will be chasing some southern swine with sticks and stone. The moon looks good and the weather hasn't been as hot here as most of the country(mid-eighties), we should do well.
We'll keep you posted...
Jim "tarponnut" Dussias
True South Adventures

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Sounds like fun. Don't forget the pics.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

Sounds like fun. Don't forget the pics.  ;)

...or the video cams. ;D
St Paul, TX

Offline Tarponnut

Yup, I'll be running both video and still cameras. This is gonna be good!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

here is the gear i will be hunting with.  my ugly 60# Pop Ash bow, Sparkleberry arrows, Ocala chert stone points and a Loblolly bay bark quiver.  with any luck we will skewer some swine!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Little John

Hey guys, good shooting and hunting to ya, sounds like anawsome hunt shaping up. anxious to hear the stories.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Hey guys, good shooting and hunting to ya, sounds like anawsome hunt shaping up. anxious to hear the stories.     Kenneth

Tambien and ditto  8)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Tarponnut

I met Ryan Sunday afternoon at the property and we started getting our gear together. Billy would be arriving a little later, he was working a booth at the Big Buck Expo in Lakeland Fl.

Ryan presented me with an awesome stone knife that is scary sharp. I was anxious to put it to use on a hog or rabbit(I do a lot of small game hunting).

Offline Tarponnut

When Billy arrived we quickly readied our gear and headed to the woods. The property is a mix of abandoned orange/grapefruit groves, pasture, and woods.
Ryan headed off to the new stand in the pecan trees and I got Billy setup in a double stand, I headed to the grove stand.
A short while later, I heard squealing from the direction of the double stand......

Offline donnieonetrack

Awesome knife, Ryan makes some very sharp and pretty points and knives.
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline gstoneberg

Cool!!  Awaiting pictures...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

Cool!!  Awaiting pictures...

George

....and not very patiently, I might add!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

I heard some squealing in that Deliverance movie also....wheres the pics?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Tarponnut

Sorry, I was waiting for Billy to chime in. Billy texted me that a reddish spotted boar came in to 8 yards but by the time he got the camera in position the boar spooked. I had a similar encounter with that same boar awhile back.
Shortly after I heard the squealing. texted me that he got a shot at a smaller sized white hog but shot just as it took a step(they are never still it seems).He hit it in the lower back leg and the pig ran off with the arrow. It was most likely a non-vital hit. He searched the area in the morning but no blood or arrow to be found.
Ryan saw several hogs at the pecan stand, including a decent sized black boar shoving the other hogs around and this black and white hog.

Offline JW_Halverson

Oreo piggie!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.