Author Topic: Spokeshave  (Read 7440 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Spokeshave
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
JW,
Sure there IS a difference between the two brands. I can imagine a well known superior brand such as Lie-Nielson or Veritas works better than a Stanley. If I had the money, I would sure like to buy a better brand, since it will last a long time.
However, taken all things into consideration, I think tuning a Stanley would be best for me, and possibly also for Stefan. The reasons why I would opt for a Stanley after all, are:
- Stefan already has a Stanley spokeshave. Why buy a second one, if you can adjust the tool you already have? No need to invest more money a second tool, at the expense of the first one never being used anymore.
- How much frustration and time do you REALLY save on the long term with a Veritas spokeshave? Sure, I like to work with a high quality tool, but is the difference really that big?
- Myself, I use many different tools for all my bows. IF I had a spokeshave, I would use it for maybe 10% of the time per bow. It will not become my most used tool, since it has a small niche within bowyery. So it would, for me, not be worth the effort and money to buy a tool I won't use daily.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 10:41:26 pm »
Since all I use are handtools on my bows, AND there are not that many tools necessary, I choose to purchase the very best of those tools.  I have an excellent quality draw knife, spoke shave, two different high quality rasps, and several cabinet scrapers. 

All told, buying all these tools would run me less than $300 TOTAL to purchase all in one gulp.  In the course of a year, I will spend close to a thousand hours in the pursuit of a giant pile of shavings.  I think thirty dirty pennies an hour for this hobby is pretty cheap for tools that will last a good long time. 

I try to not go cheap on tools, it's a false economy in my mind.  Now that second hand parachute I just bought is a great deal.  NEVER OPENED!  USED JUST ONCE!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:53:12 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 11:50:15 pm »
No doubt about the "Veritas" quality. Nothing gimmicky , just good tools. Definitely get your money's worth.

Offline countryman

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 03:03:42 am »
Flatten the shoe, the base, the bed, and the blade prior to sharpenning. Then sharpen to shaving sharp and keep it that way.

The Hock blade, and some tuning, is an excellet way to have a tool with close to the performance of the Lie-Nielson, but for much less.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 01:25:57 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I will take it in account. If I do deceide to buy the veritas spokeshave I will do a quick review of the tool

greetings

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:35:08 pm »
  You guys have me thinking about up grading. My Stanley seems to work fine but it's all I have ever experienced.

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »
I have a 151 with a Hock blade in it.  Doesn't seem to work any better than the Stanley.  I sharpened both blades with sandpaper  I get more chatter with the hock too.  one problem with mine is the blade bed has a crown.  Wish i had spent my money on a Veritas.