Author Topic: Help from gold metal winner!  (Read 3756 times)

Offline iowabow

Help from gold metal winner!
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:54:12 am »
Ron White gave me instruction today on shooting my bow. He is a gold metal and bronze metal winner. Wow after an hour of practice  back at my home I was shooting 10s for the next 20 minutes. My  other friend could not believe what a difference it made. I am so grateful he took his time to help me. He is a close friend of one of my friends. It just so happened he was at my friends house when I came over with my new bow.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Help from gold metal winner!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:20 am »
That's way cool.  Were you shooting a self bow or something more contemporary?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:41:27 am »
He was a gold metal winner with the long bow. I was shooting a self bow. The target at my friends house had a hard foam baseball hanging from a stick and at 15 yard I was nailing it. Ron watched me shoot and said that a change in my form would make a noticeable difference and it was really true. He explain how to reduce the size of my triangle and how improve my release.  This type  of professional help was just what I needed. I was grouping like 3 inches from a dot normally and last night i was grouping 1.5 from center with every shot at 15 yards. For me that is a major improvement. I just hope i can do it tonight when I practice.

With excitement I explain to my wife how this profession help was so good and she said without missing a beat that all primitive archers could use some professional help lol.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:08:08 am »
Hmmm, I see all archery wives are the same...
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »
With excitement I explain to my wife how this profession help was so good and she said without missing a beat that all primitive archers could use some professional help lol.

Thats a cool story. I bet he could give us all pointers.

Love what your wife said. Mine gets on my phone to have a good laugh at comments like, "man those are sweet curves, she's a beauty, how's she fling"

She just laughs and laughs and says we are weird...

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 03:05:41 am »
For a minute there i thought you were talking about ron"tater salad"white  ;D and i was waiting for a larry the cable guy story...all kidding aside he would have a good laugh watching me shoot, it is cool that after a little instruction from a pro goes a long way ...congratulations on your improved marksmanship!  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »
He explain how to reduce the size of my triangle and how improve my release.  This type  of professional help was just what I needed. I was grouping like 3 inches from a dot normally and last night i was grouping 1.5 from center with every shot at 15 yards. For me that is a major improvement. I just hope i can do it tonight when I practice.

If you don't mind me asking what is your triangle mean.  I'm learning all this all by myself.  I got all excited this weekend cause I cut my grouping size down by lightening up on my pointer finger.  Apparently you don't pinch the nock between your fingers.  Who knew?  LOL  I could definitely use some "professional" help.  Somebody had posted to release with the third finger and that really helps when I remember.  Trying to get ready for taking a moose this year.
Kevin

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:47:13 pm »
Look at my sons arms they form a triangle. As he pulls the bow they start to line up and this requires back tension. I did not use great back tension and this left me with an angle that caused me to correct with my left arm. When the arrow released the tension in my left arm would move the bow. So getting it right makes it bone on bone. Hope that helps. Also now i can see that at times i pluck the string. I was not grouping good enough before to notice i was doing that.

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:11:04 pm »
That makes sense.  I've noticed that a lot of times the string hits my arm when I release so I've been trying to figure out the correct way.  I'll try to concentrate more on the triangle.  Thanks.

I see a lot of terminology that makes sense to situations I experience when I stop to think about it.  The triangle makes sense.  I have noticed that when the string doesn't hit my arm and the draw feels easier I'm much more accurate. 

People at work are gonna be laughing at me making a triangle with my ghost bow!
Kevin

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:37 pm »
I want to be clear you do not want the triangle.

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »
Ah well that would explain why it didn't help last night.  Got a blister from shooting so much.  I"ll get it all figured out eventually.  Thanks for clarifying it.  I did misunderstand!
Kevin

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »
 :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr