Author Topic: Sleeved Takedown Bow build along  (Read 21896 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Sleeved Takedown Bow build along
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 06:14:32 pm »
I had to take some propeller out. Most of the propeller was near the handle so I made a little contraption to take it out.  I used a pipe wrench hooked onto the handle.  I put a 5 gallon bucket with obsidian in it on the handle to supply the leverage to hold it in place until it cooled.  I put a small C clamp on the handle to stop the bucket from sliding.  The clamp can be moved closer to the bow to decrease the leverage, or farther down the handle to increase the leverage.  Yes I know it is a rather farmer contraption.  But it works great.  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:45:08 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 07:35:17 pm »
I seen stuff like that at OJAM ;D
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 08:02:43 pm »
What a redneck ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 11:35:33 pm »
I have a big jumbo cresent wrench (about 20") that I use, I like the bucket idea, I used a gallon of paint off the very end of the wrench. with a rope through the hole in the end of the wrench.
With your idea though you can adjust the amount of reverse twist.
Do you find that you have to go a little past your intended correction to account for spring back?
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 12:39:38 am »
Dana, I prefer farmer.  You know they never buy anything if they can rig something up with what they have. (bailing wire from the tractor) ;)
VB, I am not an expert at bending wood, or anything else, but I think you always have to bend just beyond what you want to end up with.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 09:06:15 am »
Nice rig justin,I have found on Hickory go about half again what you want it to do and you will be about right.Don't know with steam but with dry heat it works pretty close. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:50 pm »
Rather than cut the brass sleeves I lightly used file then a rag wheel and pumice to adjust the fit of the sleeve in the handle so I could remove it with a good tug. Then polished it with the jewelers rouge and rub on some beeswax and it fits solid and slides apart with effort but not a hammer.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 01:49:17 pm »
Sounds like a great plan Lost Arra.  You probably got a better fit than I did.  With the price of those dang sleeves, you shouldn't have to do anything to them to make them fit good.  Justin

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 02:18:55 pm »
Ya those sleeves tend to be a bit pricey when you consider the lousy fit they have when purchased. Good to have this going here Justin..Brings back memories..

Rich

DCM

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 02:38:23 pm »
My experience with those sleeves was the the maile (brass) one would expand and contract with moisture content (in osage).  Eventually had to build it up with JB Weld but that was after it was long since finished and shot in.  Initially it was almost too tight to get separated.

Nice build along.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:21 pm »
No matter how you attached the brass sleeves it is very helpful to rub some of the furniture beeswax on the male sleeve. This is the solid bar of wax used to keep drawers sliding smoothly. I always worried about a little moisture causing some corrosion that would "weld" the steel and brass sleeves together.