Author Topic: New Ideas  (Read 7308 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
New Ideas
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:24:21 pm »
Hey I am at a road block in my bow building.I have not been able to build any for a bit due to  life issues. So now I am having trouble deciding what to make next.I have some sweet Osage just waiting to be cut on.I just need a little time and some ideas on what to go for in the way of design.Basically HELP . Need ideas for new bow......
Nugget aka (help needed)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: New Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:06:09 pm »

If you really want a challenge, go with about a 56" osage recurve. After reflexing the limbs, and tweaking a dozen times or so to align the tips and remove propellar, you might be ready to attempt tillering.  ;D

My latest attempt has the limbs pretty well aligned, but I'm going to wait until deer season closes to devote my full attention to a tillering attempt. Due to my inexperience with making one correctly, I've found it much more difficult thus far then a regular selfbow. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:06:43 pm »
Split out the wood, then tell us the dimensions.  If you have a 70" piece of osage, I'm not going to tell you to make a 54" recurve.  If it is only 60", you would need to buy a board stretcher to make a 66" ALB. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 02:29:19 pm »
I kind of agree with Justin, osage is good wood, hard to beat just a good old fashioned osage longbow between 62" and 68" long. Sometimes after the fact a little tweaking might be in order, maybe flip the tips a bit or heat in a little reflex. Steve

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 03:10:56 pm »
1 piece is 64" and the other is 72". The longer piece is wide enough to probably get 2 bows out of. The short piece has a little side bend on 1 end. the long one is pretty straight.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:41:09 pm »
I'd say go for a narrow D, but I just like D bows :).

perry

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:34:21 pm »
   Why not something out of the ordinary like an African Paddle bow , with there long narrow mid section wide paddle shaped mid limbs and needle like tips you will turn heads and start conversation everywhere you go , Osage should be well suited to that design . regards Perry

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »
Perry: Where would a guy find references to this paddle bow? designs or other info?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 12:16:25 am »
Nugget, Take the worst piece of wood you have and make a usable bow out of it.  ;) ...or a simple Eastern Woodland bend through the handle bow with side nocks. See how simple you can make it and still be effective.  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 10:14:26 am »
62-66 in long. 1.25 - 1.5 inches wide. Because of the way I shot I don't favor  really short bows. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nugget

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:57:08 am »
thanks guys. I will post pics as I go. Pat I have never done side nocks. Were can I get reference pics?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:11:23 pm »
thanks guys. I will post pics as I go. Pat I have never done side nocks. Were can I get reference pics?

Here's a pic of my new favorite type of nock- half pins. Just cut in about 1/3 the wqidth of the tip and drop it on a rock or concrete, cut to the split and you're done :). Works great and look neat too ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nugget

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:16:14 am »
preety neat nocks. Well I have decided on a 62" bow. Osage of course.Not sure on the pounds yet.I believe I might flip the tips. I will have to heat it for a little straightning so why not. A little more shaping and I willl start tillering.Will post pics soon.
Thanks guys.