Author Topic: Bamboo/Yumi questions  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Bamboo/Yumi questions
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:45 pm »
Two things.... where could i purchase cheap, flat bamboo, i found a site with decent prices, but ide like to see what you guys have to say. another thing... what glues would you recommend, as well as how would you set up "wedges" on a traditional yumi, or would it be bad if i just used a large form to do it?
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline SteveT.

Re: Bamboo/Yumi questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:12:52 pm »

Here is a photo of a yumi I made using rope and wedges. There is a lot to consider when making a bow of this complexity. For example the node spacing on the bamboo belly and back need to be precise , so the curvatures will be functioning properly. Second the type of bamboo is also important when making this bow, and madake and henin is the most traditional.  The core of these bows is vertically laminated tempered bamboo and good hardwood on the sides. A solid wood core can be used too, but grain orientation is critical on a 88 inch to 92 inch long bow. If you look on youtube and search yumi making by Jaap Koppedrayer you will find a series of videos making a yumi .Jaap is my good friend and teacher, and is a master yumi maker for many years. Check it out and see how things work together. Hope this is a help to you to finding info. about these amazing bows. Oh yes, making a yumi is one thing , then learning how to shoot it is quite another without having the string fly off, and shooting with a glove, and having the arrow (ya) on the other side of the bow. All these things can be learned with patience, and practice. I am proof of that.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:49:03 am »
I am in New york, It isnt like the stuff grows around here, anyone have any idea where i can get some actual large enough pieces?

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »
Joshua: Jaap Koppedrayer is going to Denton hill soon. Contact him and he can bring some yumi bamboo with him, and you can ask more there .His e-mail is
kkoppedr@cyg.net  I live in Canada and shipping is too costly across the border for something that length.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:52 pm »
i got no way to run to PA but i would LOVE the chance to meet him, he does AMAZING work... would be an honor to learn from him

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »
Joshua: If you e-mail Mr. Koppedrayer I believe he could ship some bamboo to you for making a yumi. We harvested quite a bit when I was at his home in Jan. Also if you'd like to contact me, you can by e-mail  stephann@execulink.com . I've been making bamboo composite bows for about 8 years now. Also make many other styles except horn bows.