Author Topic: we need rain  (Read 6196 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: we need rain
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:13 am »
I'm concerned about what's going to happen to food prices this winter. Livestock feed prices are already high and folks are holding on to any hay they have.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 11:12:42 am »
It's pouring the rain here right now. Rained almost every day for the last couple weeks. Wish we could send you some of it.
same here, although the rain a few days ago brought some pretty damaging hail just north of here
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:56:03 am »
They say 54 more days of no real rain. Does anyone know the effect this will have on walnut trees.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:05 pm »
im not sure but im guessing not good :'(
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:13 pm »
I have 200 midlife walnut trees. I hope they come out of it OK. Maybe I should cut the undesirable trees around them to decrease stress.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »
We need it, too! There hasn't been measurable rain at our house in months. The last I heard, we need ten or eleven inches to pull us out of the drought!! I'm afraid the wells are going to start drying up soon if we don't get a LOT of rain.

I'm in SW Missouri. No rain in the forecast, either. We've had a few spotty storms pass through the area, but they keep missing our house.
Doug from Missouri

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 01:22:29 pm »
They say 54 more days of no real rain. Does anyone know the effect this will have on walnut trees.

We have a couple hundred walnut trees on our property, Iowa. Previous droughts haven't hit them too hard. I did lose one mature one last year that still has to come down. It's hard to tell if last year's drought or the tornado the year before got that one, though. It seems to hit my hickory trees worse. I've been losing one or two of them a year during each drought.

I have a couple of brand new peach trees I planted this spring. So far, they're even surviving this year. I've only watered them once since the drought started. I lost a mature peach tree in last year's drought. That's why I planted these! It's mostly hickory I have trouble with, though.
Doug from Missouri

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 01:24:59 pm »
Burn ban now in effect

We've had one since early June. I heard a day or two ago that every county in Missouri has been declared a disaster area.

I'm sure it's not much different with our neighbors to the north. Hopefully we'll both get a lot of rain soon.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:33:27 pm by PepeLep »
Doug from Missouri

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »
No rain again today. I have mowed twice all year.

I've only mowed once on the full yard (about four acres). That was right before we went on vacation in June. I touched up the front yard and down to the pond last weekend. Some weeds sprouted up.

I think all the grass has shut down.

Looking at the maps, it looks like ours isn't as bad as some other areas. It's just statewide. I hope all of us who need it start getting some rain soon. Our area is actually surviving it pretty good up to here. Last year, all of my tomato plants were dead by now and we lost all of our fruit. We got cherries and peaches this year and the tomatoes are limping along. The hay fields and corn are looking ok around where I live. Some solid rain would probably save the crops around here as long as we get it soon.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:33:01 pm by PepeLep »
Doug from Missouri

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »
Here is Yosemite we got .01 inches yesterday! back to hot and sunny today!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:21 pm »
I hate to say it but a little storm blew up out of nowhere this afternoon and we got a quick quarter inch in about 20 minutes.  Lowered the temperature about 15 degrees too. Looked at the radar and it was a puny little storm, can't believe it came over us. Wish it was up in Iowa.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »
Forecast is 100 degree heat till Tr

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »
Man, I hope things get better for those going through this drought!! I live in the northwest, and it seems like summer is never going to get here......rain, cold, even for us at this time of yr. Crazy!

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13:40 pm »
We went over 90 days with not a drop of rain. Then last Friday we got 2 inches in 30 minutes. Made for a great flash flood then it was all gone.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline iowabow

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:48 am »
Still no real rain fall yet. The forester came over to talk tree management. The cherry tress are dropping leaves. The leaves at the top are brown. She thinks many of them will die. She said that the acorns were shed midsummer. I saw hickery nuts green and on the forest floor. Many ground plants dead. Deer will not have an easy winter. Turkey will find nothing to eat when working the leaves. I am watering the grass now to keep it green for fire protection. The earth has pulled away from the foundation. This can be an issue later when the rains do come. I have not seen it this dry before.