Author Topic: Well look what we have here  (Read 8312 times)

DBernier

Well look what we have here
« on: September 13, 2007, 05:33:14 pm »
Early this morning I jumped some deer feeding in the field in back of the Block House. Went out at 11:30 to check and there were seven turkeys there. Got the camera and some of them went into the woods. Four of them were still there. Then I was going to check the trail camera (had my digital with me) at around 3:30 and saw this. In the second photo one of the two deer that was here this morning was back. The range is 90 yards. Did not have any 90 yard arrows with me. Will have some 20 yard arrows with me tomorrow morning in the blind. Keep our fingers crossed.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Well look what we have here
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:45:52 pm »
  Looking real good Dick.Are those heads on the turkey's red? Can't tell from the picture.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:28:56 pm »
That looks like my kind of ground blind out there in the field with the turkeys.  Just pull up a sit down next to the bail and wait.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:34:14 pm »
That looks good Dick - from the caption I was expectin to see some blood, got me fired up for a second ;D. Wish Oct 1st would hurry up.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:49:34 pm »
Eddie, they were kinda reddish/white.
   The bale Justin was brought up by one of the "kids" down the street. They bring one a year and I use it for a random archery/gun backstop. I let them hunt Coon down in back. They said there are some of the biggest ones they have ever seen back there. I don't hunt them although I see them a lot at dusk and even later. They got one last year that weighed about 35#. I understand that is big. I did not see it and I think I am right on the weight.
   Cowboy, Sept 8 starts archery here. It is hot so clothing is optional.  ::) Most of the day I am in my camo shorts and shirtless. Guess that is why the deer stay hidden. Well 4am comes early and will for the next few days. Hopefully they will be back.

Dick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:04:30 pm »
  Sounds like Gobbler's to me Dick.By the way,those big ole' Coons are the worst predators on your place for turkey nesting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 05:27:24 am »
Didn't know that for a fact Eddie, but it makes sense, The turkeys roost about 1/3 of a mile left or NW of that photo. I've seen them as far as a mile to the right down by the brook. There is another big field down there. Well gotta get dressed. Its 3:50am. Should be a good day out. Maybe see a big coon?   ;D

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:11:00 am »
Looks like biscuit filler to me. Now you just gotta get it out of the woods and into the biscuit  :) You ever see any white or piebald deer on your place? I've seen several over the years about two roads over from your place.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 10:23:18 pm »
Steve, no I haven't. One fellow I worked with at GE has though and he lives on 119 on the north side of 49 about a mile up the road. Its raining like "heck" here right now. Saw two more today (doe's) but they were too deep it the woods. I have not seen many bucks. Will put some rain camo on tomorrow and go out again for a few hours. Later.

Dick

DBernier

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 09:10:06 am »
Steve you will like this. Last night I came in about 1/2 hr earlier than I usually do. I had taken off my gloves, boots and pants and was washing up at the kitchen sink. That is what I saw out the kitchen window in the first photo. The fawn looks to be about 5 or 6 months old. So I waited for them to go into the brush to the left and took my digital and climbed on the block house roof. Yep, you guessed it. There were six more about 100 yards away, 15 yards from my ground blind. You can only see three in the photo as the other three are to the right. The  blurriness is me shaking a little and a lot mad at myself. Murphy's law.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:40:29 am by DBernier »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:05 am »
Murphy's law would be correct ;D. I get busted almost every time I get down early, have learned to stay put over the years :).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DBernier

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 12:33:54 pm »
Cowboy, I KNOW better than to do something like that.  :-[   But you get these brain Fa--s once in a while after sitting on your butt for 3 or 4 hours.   :-[   I didn't even go out and scout this morning.  :'(  Tomorrow is another day.   ;D

Dick

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 10:11:45 am »
A 35 lb coon sure would hold a lot of arras...... good luck  stickin any of the criiters youve seen.  Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 09:25:43 pm »
Dick, I thought that only happened to me............... ;D And yep, a 35-pound coon would be an ungodly monster. I coon hunted your area for close to twenty years, and my dad for many years before I was old enough to go with him, and the biggest Alamance coon we ever caught weighed 21 lbs. Maybe somebody turned some of those big northern coons loose down there, you used to could mail order them and some coon hunting clubs used to stock them here and there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.