Author Topic: Stringman and Twistedlimbs share June Self BOM win!!!!  (Read 4158 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Stringman and Twistedlimbs share June Self BOM win!!!!
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:11:47 pm »

Stringman's Burlington Brothers bow- the beginning osage
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33309.0.html

and

Twistedlimbs’ – Persimmon bow
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33535.0.html

Share the June Sefl BOM contest win. 

Here is what Scott.. aka had to say about his bow:  Ok. So I had this idea. I wanted to do something a little different with the bow trade theme. So earlier this year when I went up to John's (iowabow) house for his little get to together I took a couple pieces of prime osage. They were actually sister staves and well dried. At some point I approached John about the idea and then remembered I had a third stave off that split at home, so I invited JW into the little scheme as well.

The plan was to take one of the sister staves and build your best bow and trade it to the next guy. All three bows will have come from the same 1/8th split of a massive osage tree and we decided to name them all Burlington Brothers.

So after names went in the hat, I drew John's and got started as soon as I got home. I quickly realized my stave wasnt perfect and what looked like an easy build turned frustrating. In the bottom limb I found a wind check that went all the way through the limb. I decided to cut it out completely, but that left me with only about an inch of width on the working limb. And so the challenge was on. Could I make a bow with a little bit of hedge?

John's wanted a 62" bow to draw 55 - 60# @ 24"...After reflexing the stave I realized that it was gonna come in light with the narrow limbs. So I turned all my attention toward making sure I nailed the tiller early without a lot of scraping. i also, contacted my buddy Cipriano for a set of skins because the bow was taking on a little character and I wanted to really show it off.

After gettin a good idea of the floor tiller I went ahead and flipped the tips. I wasnt really trying for strong recurves, but I am not used to working on short wood. So it came out a little stronger than what I thought.

After flipping the tips, I decided to go ahead and rough out the handle and cut in the shelf. I know that John doesn't normally shoot with a shelf so I wanted to give him a taste to see if he liked it.  By this point I had scraped her into shape and the tiller was looking pretty close. When the skins arrived I went right to work and got them cut out and layed down. Nothing prettier than a slender girl in tight jeans and this one was startin to stand out!

I knew I was close but there was a piece of the puzzle eluding me... After talking with Cipriano again on a different subject he mentioned a unique piece of mesquite that he had laying around. I asked, and he said "sure!" (what a guy!)  The BB bow has tips...  After the knappin that John and I attended last weekend I had him shoot the bow and t a test run. I also took the opportunity to take some "money shot" pics. He seemed pleased and I can't wait to hand it to him as a completed bow (I didnt have the tips on it then.)

Now with the BB bow completed, I have to say I'm pleased with it. The bow is snappy in the hand and light, without any extra weight. i must say that it pushes the limits with it's narrow limbs and recurved tips, but it gave me a new appreciation for well tillered osage wood.
I cant wait to see what JW and Iowabow turn out!

Here is what other forum members had to say about Scott's bow:
Beautiful bow,very well done,tiller looks good and finish work is very nice also. Pappy
The bow is beautiful but did notice one thing in the lay out lines in the first photo. Yo did not follow the lateral grain with your center line. It is usually a good idea to do that especially with osage. Jawge
mighty fine bow ya made there!  sadijane
Scott builds a fine bow! My first arrow through the bow at 15 yards just drilled the spot and the second was within inch! It pulls so nice and is a great bow to shoot. I really like the tips and it will be my first snake skinned bow. I only hope JW's turns out as nice. Thank you Scott!  iowabow

Here is what Twistedlimbs’ had to say about his bow:  Put this bow together likely for me to use in the upcoming season. Im really pleased with it so i plan to keep shooting it. It is FL native persimmon. It was a sapling about 1 1/2" diameter. I left the full thickness through the handle so that should give you the estimate on how thin it is. It is 61" long and 60# @ 26". I left it very primitive. good finish work, but no fancy tip overlays and no shelf. It's shot off knuckle. The arrows I am working on for it are sparkleberry and cane shafts with FL chert stone points. Also i didn't add any stain to the bow at all, that is 100% natural color on this bow. Some of these persimmon saplings dry very dark in color. The grip is simple deer skin dyed with walnut hull dye. thanks for looking.- Ryan

Here is what other forum members said about Ryan's bow:
Wow I like the look of that shooter!!!  Well done !!!  coaster500
Very nice Ryan! That natural color adds some very nice character to it.  okie64
Dang, that's nice. Love the simplicity of it, and natural camouflage. Nicely done. dmc
Great job!  Can't wait to shoot it. You know I love simple shoot of the hand bows.  Donnie
I don't know what I like best about that bow , that has the look of pure primitive to me.   I think that is the image of the perfect sapling bow, exceptional work twisted. Badly Bent
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

Re: Stringman and Twistedlimbs share June Self BOM win!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:30:26 pm »
Congratulations gentlemen!  Great job on both bows.  I almost resorted to a coin toss to decide my vote this month.  With John and I both in the magazine, I have to wonder how many copies will be used to scare away mice! ;) >:D >:D. Just kidding John.  Great job Scott and twisted!  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:24:56 pm »
Congrats guys,2 very nice bows for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »
Nice profile on those bows fellas.Super job on both of them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:02:50 pm »
Congratulations to you both. I love seeing the tie. Both are worthy of the honors.