Author Topic: straightening river cane  (Read 5686 times)

Offline huntersteve

straightening river cane
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:06:30 am »
I'm getting ready to try my hand at making some cane arrows...my question is...at what point do I need to straighten the cane shafts...while green,during drying time,or after they dry out? Thanks...Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: straightening river cane
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:40:38 am »
Steve, You can do a lot of straightening as the canes are drying. Don't try to straighten then all at once but do a little and bundle them back up. Do this every week as they cure and you shouldn't need to do too much later.   I prefer to use seasoned canes and the heat from my gas kitchen stove. Any heat source will work. Move the area to be straightened above the flame(heat) rotating the cane until you see "sweat" beads develop on the surface. It will bend like rubber then.  Work all the internode areas(between the nodes) first and let them cool a day. then work the nodes and let them cool a day. The cooling period is important so what you straighten stays straight. After I have straightened the nodes I like to reheat them and roll them between 2 hard surfaces(blocks of hardwood) to compress the node rather than scrape them down.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:44:25 am »
thanks Pat for the info...I knew we had talked about this same subject while at Alan's house...the day I was trying out the different bows....I've got a big patch of cane down on the creek behind my house and thought I would give it a try....I'll let you know how it turns out...Thanks again..Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:14:09 am »
Oh, so that's who you are. ::) ;D Be sure you collect mature canes.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:16:44 pm »
after I get them cut and started I'll post some pics and maybe you can tell whether I'm going in the right direction or not....I also ordered some POC's and bradheads so that I can set up some arrows to hunt with.....
Tryon,N.C.